Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Make Mouse tracking report the state of controls #3930

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 26, 2014 · 7 comments
Closed

Make Mouse tracking report the state of controls #3930

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 26, 2014 · 7 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by k_kolev1985 on 2014-02-26 11:43
Currently, NVDA's mouse tracking can detect what type of control is under the cursor, but it can't detect its state. For example - it tells us that the mouse is under a check-box or a radio-button, but it does not tell us if those controls are checked or not. Also, it does not tell us if a control is available for interaction or not (eg. if a menu item is unavailable). When a control is focused via the keyboard and it is unavailable (eg. a menu item), NVDA reports that it is unavailable. Can the mouse tracking be improved, so those things are reported from NVDA via its mouse tracking as well?

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

CC @k-kolev1985

@jcsteh: Honestly I've never understood why "Report role when mouse enters object" isn't the default. May be we can extend this option to have the control under the mouse reported based on the output for REASON_FOCUS?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jul 17, 2017

@leonardder commented on 16 Jul 2017, 01:26 GMT+12:

Honestly I've never understood why "Report role when mouse enters object" isn't the default.

The use cases for NVDA mouse tracking are somewhat different (and more varied) than those for the keyboard. My understanding is that some partially sighted users have enough sight to see the controls on the screen, but not enough to read the text, so they use mouse tracking purely to help them access text. Of course, this doesn't apply to all users, though I believe our feeling was that more users would use it like this.

May be we can extend this option to have the control under the mouse reported based on the output for REASON_FOCUS?

I agree it probably does make sense to report states, but reporting exactly the way we report focus isn't really possible if, for example, the user chooses to mouse track by word. That would result in duplicate information in editable text controls, for example.

CC @michaelDCurran for his thoughts.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jul 17, 2017

CC @Qchristensen for his thoughts as well.

@Qchristensen
Copy link

Good point re when to read what. Assume you had a checkbox with the label "some label" to the right. If text unit resolution was set to word, would you read the checkbox with the word "some" or as its own word to the left of "some".

Mouse tracking also doesn't announce things like headings or font changes (from the last text read?). The mouse settings dialog isn't too busy, so theoretically extra options could be added to control whether such information was read (without looking at what is involved in adding such features), the question then is whether enough users want it.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I don't know if this is really needed. Let's take the perspective of a blind person. This person would use focus mode or browse mode to navigate and would route the mouse to certain areas out of those modes. In some cases the mouse would be routed from object navigation mode. So, before routing the mouse, the blind person already gets this state information in braille or speech.
Now, for a visually impaired person who uses the physical mouse to navigate, there is other visual information which is used to gather this information. However, I think if magnification is implemented in NVDA, speech could be minimized to report only states and formating information because I think in some cases for a visual impaired person they are hard to recognize.

@Qchristensen
Copy link

I think having the ability to have information such as the state of checkboxes announced when moving the mouse over them is still important - perhaps even moreso now that not every two-state control has a box with a tick in it. Whether a control is enabled or not in Word's ribbon (eg Bold or underline) is distinguished by a very subtle colour change in the background of the control itself.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

This is working as expected in NVDA last alpha, introduced by #15518. Closing as fixed.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants