Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Simplify object navigation #3931

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 26, 2014 · 17 comments
Closed

Simplify object navigation #3931

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 26, 2014 · 17 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by k_kolev1985 on 2014-02-26 12:21
I've been playing around with Narrator under Windows 8.1 recently and I've discovered that its object navigation is in some ways much simpler than the one presently used in NVDA. The reason: it does not have parent and children levels - all objects are on one single level. The advantage of this is that the user does not have to move through several levels of objects, just to find an object, "hidden" in some sub-sub-sub-children level - he will have to only move through the objects one by one, until he finds the one he is looking for. The disadvantage is that sometimes the number of objects, if placed on one single level, may become in large numbers and moving through them one by one may take some time. Even so however, if the user is not familiar with the hierarchy of the objects in an application (and believe me - most users are not), the possibility to move through all objects in one single level will be easier for them. Can it be made so NVDA provides such a mode of navigation through the objects - all on one level (at least in an application's window)? Of course, this mode should be optional and toggled for example from the "Review cursor settings" window with another option added there.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by briang1 on 2014-02-26 14:51
But we already have more or less that, and two other modes where that is relevent surely? Or did I misunderstand what you meant. Doc review, Screen reaview and object review.
We used to have flat review, same thing different name.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by k_kolev1985 on 2014-02-26 15:02
Document review is only for virtual documents, and not for other screens. The screen review is similar to what I'm suggesting. Screen review however reads the screen top to bottom, left to right and only reads text information. As for what I'm suggesting - it will read object by object, witch is different. Maybe the flat review was something similar, but I'm not sure if it did read the screen object by object or only textual information. It is hard to explain - sorry.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by Palacee_hun on 2014-02-26 17:43
Believe me or not, you can already almost do what you want with NVDA. You have two gestures: move to the next/previous object in a flattened mode. By default these are assigned only to the touch screen oriented flick left/right, but nothing prevents you from assigning them to normal keyboard commands in the input gestures dialog. For example, I have assigned them to NVDA+Shift+left arrow and NVDA+Shift+right arrow respectively. They work great. You definitely get object information, and there's just one object level. The only thing is that movements are not limited to the active application window.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2014-02-26 22:13
comment:3 is correct. If you've used left/right flick gestures on a touch screen lately with NVDA, this is what you'll get. We should probably provide keyboard bindings too.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by k_kolev1985 on 2014-02-27 11:37
Yes, if keyboard bindings are added, that will be enough :). To be honest, although I've been playing with a touch screen device lately, I mostly used it with a keyboard and probably that is why I haven't noticed that the left and right flicks on the touch screen use flat object navigation. Actually, the main reason for me not noticing that fact is that even though I use the device's touch screen from time to time, I mainly use it with touch exploration and not with object navigation. Stupid me... :).

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by briang1 on 2014-02-27 12:00
I think this needs sorting out then. Its adding a feature with minimal work. However care is going to be needed to make a combination that is not in use in any add on or other things I thought the suggested one was something else in laptop, so that might pose an issue.
Certainly where touch has a function not to be found on the keyboard this needs to be fixed I think.
I tried to add some bindings in the dialogue a while back but simply ended up losing some speech for some odd reason, so gave up in case i knackerd the install and had to start again. Finger trouble no doubt. I lost the folder view speech in Outlook express.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by nvdakor on 2014-03-01 09:58
Hi,
We may as well solve an issue where NVDA's touch navigation would be limited to the active app.
As for this one, I believe all we need to do would be to find a suitable command set and add them in globalComamnds.GlobalCommands gestures dictionary.
For gestures, I suggest NVDA+Shift+Numpad 6 for next flatten object navigation and NVDA+Shift+Numpad 4 for the reverse.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by nvdakor on 2015-03-23 20:47
Hi,
Coming back to this ticket...
If there is demand for this, I'll come up with a branch for this ticket that binds NVDA+Shift+numpad 4/6 to flattened object navigation commands like touchscreens. However, this can be done now - if you go to input gestures dialog and look under touch category, you'll see those commands (unless disalbed when NVDA is started).
Thanks.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@josephsl You seemed to suggest in #3931 (comment) that you may consider working on this ticket in the future. This is mostly just a friendly reminder to hopefully get around to working on this as and when time, circumstance and priorities permit.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 23, 2017

Possibly related: #4100

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

Coming back to this, I think that it would be beneficial to have keyboard bindings for flattened object navigation indeed. Since shift+NVDA+pageUp and shift+NVDA+pageDown are still unassigned, I think it might make sense to use these for the laptop layout. For the Desktop layout, I'd like to suggest NVDA+numpad3 and NVDA+numpad9 for next and previous object, respectively.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Also this could be covered by locking object Navigation and assigning quick Navigation key like in browse mode.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

see #7759

@derekriemer
Copy link
Collaborator

we already have the flows to shortcuts as part of touch screen nav. Would these work out?

@josephsl
Copy link
Collaborator

josephsl commented Jun 25, 2018

Hi,

There are several solutions:

1. Assign commands suggested by @LeonarddeR: NVDA+page up/page down could work, although to me, it doesn't make sense. NVDA+arrows (NVDA+Shift+arrows on laptop layout) are already assigned to object navigation, and for most users, it is part of their muscle memory. As I suggested three years ago, NVDA+Shift+Numpad left/right arrows for flow command for desktop layout was what I was going to suggest, but then it doesn't work well for laptop layout (it also runs against personal philosophy of user experience consistency).
  2. Add a setting in Review Cursor panel to control how next and previous object navigation should work. Default would be current behavior, and users can choose to enable flow method. The biggest benefit is that one can toggle this setting on per application basis (via configuration profiles), but the downside is redundant touchscreen gestures. One way to solve touch gesture problem is detecting gesture type (isinstance) and keep the original behavior if this is touch only. Also, in order to make this more effective, an unassigned toggle command should be added.

Thanks.

@derekriemer
Copy link
Collaborator

@josephsl commented on Jun 25, 2018, 12:46 AM MDT:

Hi,

There are several solutions:

1. Assign commands suggested by @LeonarddeR: NVDA+page up/page down could work, although to me, it doesn't make sense. NVDA+arrows (NVDA+Shift+arrows on laptop layout) are already assigned to object navigation, and for most users, it is part of their muscle memory.

Having trained various NVDA users in the past object navigation is not even close to intuitive to most users, especially unintuitive to non computer scientists. Most users sinply don't use object navigation out of frustration with using Object navigation. They'll listen to a whole dialog go by with NVDA+b for a good 30 seconds because object nav is so unintuitive. Something needs done about this.

As I suggested three years ago, NVDA+Shift+Numpad left/right arrows for flow command for desktop layout was what I was going to suggest, but then it doesn't work well for laptop layout (it also runs against personal philosophy of user experience consistency).

I respectfully prefer @LeonarddeR approach because it's a simpler keystroke.

1. Add a setting in Review Cursor panel to control how next and previous object navigation should work. Default would be current behavior, and users can choose to enable flow method. The biggest benefit is that one can toggle this setting on per application basis (via configuration profiles), but the downside is redundant touchscreen gestures. One way to solve touch gesture problem is detecting gesture type (isinstance) and keep the original behavior if this is touch only. Also, in order to make this more effective, an unassigned toggle command should be added.

I agree with this proposal, but per my comments above (with anecdotal evidence however) I think an flows to mode should be the default.

@CyrilleB79
Copy link
Collaborator

Initial request from @k-kolev1985 fixed in #15065.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

8 participants