Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Get rid of previous and next review mode commands and replace them with a more intuitive solution. #3958

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 8, 2014 · 4 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by driemer.riemer@... on 2014-03-08 09:47
When navigating in screen or object review, I feel it would be a better option to make the previous and next review modes into one command. This would cycle through the allowed options and thus eliminate the notion of having to go backwards through the options and then forward through them. I have seen confusion with some newbies to nvda when doing this, because other screen readers don't have the notion of cycling through the review modes. My proposed solution would be to rap backwards once the end is reached. So when in screen review, if the command was pressed to move forward, nvda would report "Object review." When repeating, nvda would hop back to screen review, rather than speaking "no next review option" and so forth. I feel this would simplify the use of nvda to navigate with review modes, first because it would decrease the number of keystrokes one must learn, secondly it would decrease the number of translatable strings needing to be maintained, and thirdly because it would free up a key for other nvda commands.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2014-03-08 10:06
This is partly a backwards compatibility issue. Before we had review modes, we had flat review. At that time, NVDA+numpad7 moved to flat review for the current object and NVDA+numpad1 reviewed the object at the current position in flat review. The way the commands for review modes are implemented now, there is nothing new to learn; it works as it did before, albeit with different messages.

It's also arguably easier/faster the way it is now in some cases. NVDA+numpad1 is always guaranteed to "drill down" in terms of review modes and vice versa for NVDA+numpad7. So, you don't have to think about what key press will take you into object review and usually, you won't even have to press it more than once.

Other screen readers which have multiple cursors usually dedicate a key to switch to each cursor, so I don't follow the newbie argument. Surely, having a single key to cycle through modes is pretty much the same.

Still, this does need to be discussed, since this is not the first time this has come up.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by briang1 on 2014-03-09 10:54
There are of course some actions that only seem to exist as one gesture in touch screen systems, and have no obvious keyboard shortcuts allocated.
Moves to the next object in a flattened view of the object navigation hierarchy flick Right(Touch screen, object mode)
Moves to the previous object in a flattened view of the object navigation hierarchy flick Left (Touch screen, object mode)

I notice are the obvious ones here.

@surfer0627
Copy link
Contributor

See also #3392.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

Closing as duplicate of #3392.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants