Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Ref bug#1686-Word 2013 docs are not read with UP/DOWN ARROW in protected view. #3972

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 12, 2014 · 6 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by sumandogra on 2014-03-12 09:02
In word 2013, one cannot read line by line with UP/DOWN ARROW in protected view when MSWord docs are downloaded as attachments from emails(Reference bug#1686).
Steps:

1. Download a MSWord document attachment from an email
  2. Open the document.
  3. The document will open in protected view.
  4. Read the document with UP/DOWN arrow.
  5. One will not be able to read the document. On using UP/DOWN ARROW, one moves between pages instead of going to next/previous line.
  6. Say All command is available in this protected view.
@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2014-08-08 12:27
Does down arrow actually move you to the next page or does it just read the entire current page? What about the review cursor (e.g. numpad8 to read the current line, numpad9 for the next line)?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2014-08-09 03:07
Not sure if this will be useful, but just so we don't lose it, Dinesh Kaushal noted on nvda-devel that Application.ActiveProtectedViewWindow.Document allows you to get at the protected view document. The question is what it allows and doesn't allow.

@Qchristensen
Copy link

There are I think two problems. One I have documented separately in Issue #7540.

The other option is that Word, by default, opens protected documents (e-mail attachments and documents downloaded from the web) in "Reading View". Say all works in this mode, but up and down arrows move the view by one page. You can use control+down arrow and control+up arrow to move by line as a workaround, alternatively press control+alt+p to return to print layout - note that the document is still in protected mode. There is an option in Word's general options page to open protected documents in reading view. Uncheck this option to open these documents in print layout.

It's then a philosophical debate about whether we hijack navigation commands in reading mode to work how users expect them to from other view modes, or instruct users on how to read in that mode or change to another mode.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@sumandogra are you still reproducing this issue? In Office 2010 at least, NVDA can read out the text even if the document is protected.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@Qchristensen yan you also try to reproduce it?

@Qchristensen
Copy link

Qchristensen commented Jan 14, 2019

@Adriani90 as per my previous comment I can read documents in protected view, yes. I recommend turning off the option to display protected view documents in reading view - they will then open in print layout but still protected. I'm using Word 365, I haven't tried in Office 2013 or earlier.

Based on that, and that the original issue simply describes how reading layout works, I'm going to close this issue.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants