Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

allow nvda to speak common bullet types #3979

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 13, 2014 · 5 comments
Closed

allow nvda to speak common bullet types #3979

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 13, 2014 · 5 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by JamaicanUser on 2014-03-13 18:56
When using NVDA with MS Word, when navigating the bullets list, NVDA announces text that is not helpful to the blind user. That is to say, text such as "111 Courier New' or '1234 Wingdings' or something like that is announced instead of 'filled bullet' or 'hollow round bullet'. Furthermore, when a bullet is inserted sometimes, NVDA says 'o' instead of bullet, leading to the confusion of the user.
I need better support for MS Word.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by briang1 on 2014-03-14 08:58
I just hear bullet, which does not say which it is of course. maybe a sighted person can configure the symbols list with the right description for the various bullets. Of course you are also noting that bullets are different in different fonts, which is presumably useful information as well.
What exactly would you like it to say, ie just solid bullet, but only give the font when you interrogate the highlighted item etc as it does now?

@bhavyashah
Copy link

This ticket seems to deal with two issues:

1. NVDA reading seemingly useless information in the Bullets list (Alt, H, U).
  2. NVDA reporting 'o' instead of 'bullet' when actually a bullet is entered.
    The first one is fairly apparent and reproducible. Pressing Alt, H, U, opens the Bullets dropdown, in which one of these unhelpfully named bullets as read by NVDA is 'Bulleted, 61656 (Wingdings)'.
    With regards to the second issue, I cannot replicate it. Auto conversion of * followed by spacebar as well as pressing Ctrl+Shift+L are the methods I use to input bullets, and neither has ever reported 'o' at my end. We will require significantly more specific and detailed steps in order to reliably reproduce it.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 16, 2017

Using Word 2016, I experience opposite results.

1. In the bullets list, (Alt, H, U), I am able to arrow around to the different bullets and useful descriptions are provided. (Example: Bulleted, Solid Circle, Picture bulleted, Bulleted, Four Small Diamonds, etc.)
  2. When inserting one of these bullets, (Bulleted, Hollow Arrow, for example), and create a list of 3 items, using the up arrow key does not indicate that there are bullets present.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@ehollig do you have "lists" activated in document formating settings?

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Dec 26, 2018

@Adriani90 I do, however, when I perform the second step in #3979 (comment) and create a list of 3 items with a bullet, using up and down arrow does announce the bullet. I am going to close this issue as fixed now.

@ehollig ehollig closed this as completed Dec 26, 2018
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants