Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Usability of Thunderbird message viewer #398

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 1, 2010 · 9 comments
Closed

Usability of Thunderbird message viewer #398

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 1, 2010 · 9 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by aleksey_s on 2009-08-23 11:06
Thunderbird's message viewer is pretty comfortable. You can navigate forward/backward through unread/all messages and threads by pressing quick navigation keys b,f,n,t and p. however, Its usability conflicts with NVDA virtual buffer quick-nav keys. Pressing nvda+space each time you want skip the message can become quite nasty.
I am thinking about some customized virtual buffer for thunderbird appModule, which will pass those keys to message viewer. Or we can go further and implement mode, in which nvda virtual buffer will act as regular text field without any quick-nav keys. Therefore this mode can be enabled by user when desired.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2009-08-23 11:24
I tend to use NVDA+f2 to "pass next key through", rather than NVDA+space.

I'm not so keen on the idea of customising the buffer for Thunderbird. If we do want this, I think I prefer the idea of a mode to disable quick nav keys.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

LeonarddeR commented Jun 7, 2017

Would it be easily possible to disable quick navigation by default for thunderbird message view now that #3203 (disabling quick navigation keys with shift+nvda+space) is there?

@bdorer
Copy link
Sponsor

bdorer commented Mar 19, 2019

This would be great to have

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@LeonarddeR is this somehow addressed by the PR #8846 which has been recently merged allowing browse mode to be disabled by default? Or is that working only for browsers?

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

@Adriani90: Disabling browse mode by default should work for thunderbird, yes. However, disabling browse mode also destroys the ability to navigate through the message content, so is definitely not what one would do when working nonvisually.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Ok, this works quite good when disabling quick navigation with nvda+shift+space bar. But quick navigation gets automatically enabled after a dialog is displayed or when the cursor jumps to another area on the thunderbird window.
Is it possible to turn off quick navigation for an application entirely until you press nvda+shift+space bar again?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I am onl keyboard layout Laptop.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Hmm this behavior seems to have changed in Thunderbird 68.3.0 and NVDA alpha 19420,a2c6f0f8.
I cannot really reproduce this anymore.
Is anyone able to reproduce this?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Ok, I am closing this issue since I cannot reproduce it and I didn't hear any further user reports on this.
Closing as owrks for me.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants