Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Shorter names for commands in Input Gestures dialog #3989

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 17, 2014 · 6 comments
Closed

Shorter names for commands in Input Gestures dialog #3989

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 17, 2014 · 6 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by vgjh2005 on 2014-03-17 05:23
I think add a EditBox to search by the hotkey name/Hotkey description or by the hotkey can find what key we need more quickly. The hotkey name is too long now, I think if NVDA collect the hotkey quick preference's name to do the hotkey name on it, it is better. Put the descriptions after the hotkey defined. Speaking of the cancel button, I modified a hotkey to the tab key, but I forget what key I change, so I press the cancel button at last. unfortunately, the key didn't be reset. I cannot control my computer at all, I cannot choose but to let NVDA into factory state.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh (in reply to comment description) on 2014-09-16 02:51
Replying to vgjh2005:

I think add a EditBox to search by the hotkey name/Hotkey description or by the hotkey can find what key we need more quickly.

Let's cover this in #4458.

The hotkey name is too long now, I think if NVDA collect the hotkey quick preference's name to do the hotkey name on it, it is better.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Not all of the keys are related to preferences. However, I agree that ideally, the name would be shorter. The best name to use is probably the name given in the User Guide, but unfortunately, NVDA doesn't include these names in the code.

Speaking of the cancel button, I modified a hotkey to the tab key, but I forget what key I change, so I press the cancel button at last. unfortunately, the key didn't be reset.

Are you sure you didn't hit OK at some earlier stage? I don't see how this is possible. The code doesn't modify the actual gestures until you press the OK button. Are you able to reproduce this?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by vgjh2005 on 2014-09-16 03:53
Hi:
Speaking of the cancel button, I modified a hotkey to the tab key, but I forget what key I change, so I press the cancel button at last. unfortunately, the key didn't be reset. I cannot control my computer at all, I cannot choose but to let NVDA into factory state.
However, this bug has been fixed.
The best name to use is probably the name given in the User Guide,
Catch the name in userguide to do gesture name, catch the description to do the gesture description.
Thanks!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2014-09-16 03:58
Okay. Narrowing the scope of this bug to just cover shorter names.
Changes:
Changed title from "Add a search option to the create gestures dialog." to "Shorter names for commands in Input Gestures dialog"

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@jcsteh A search option for the Input Gestures dialog is now available. However, does this ticket concern manually shortening the command descriptions of various NVDA keyboard shortcuts for the Input Gestures dialog (which implies the Input Help mode also, I believe), or simply making the command descriptions found in the user Guide and the messages spoken during Input Help mode and present in the Input Gestures dialog consistent? If the latter interpretation is correct, I think the ticket title might need to be revised to increase clarity.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Sep 5, 2017

1. This issue covers shortening the names for the Input Gestures dialog.
  2. We don't want to shorten them for input help. Thus, we would need to add a new name attribute to use in the Input Gestures dialog and use the existing message (the description) in input help.
  3. The User Guide includes both a (shorter) name and a (longer) description. I don't think we need to be strict about the descriptions being consistent. The names might serve as a good starting point for the new names to be used in the Input Gestures dialog.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

A better use case for shortening names in input gesture dialog is described in #13614. Since this issue is limited to shortening the labels, I am closing this one in favor of #13614.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants