Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA prevents automatic system standby #400

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 1, 2010 · 17 comments
Closed

NVDA prevents automatic system standby #400

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 1, 2010 · 17 comments
Labels

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by jteh on 2009-08-25 03:42
While NVDA is running, the system will not go into standby mode automatically despite being configured to do so.

Str:

1. Ensure that no other background tasks which will prevent standby are running; e.g. audio players, etc.
  2. Set the system standby time to 1 minute. (In Windows XP, Control Panel -> Power Options -> Power Schemes tab -> System standby...)
  3. Press NVDA+f12 and let the speech reach completion. Do not hit control to interrupt it. Otherwise, the speech will pause instead of finishing.
  4. Wait a little more than 1 minute.
    Actual: The system does not go into standby mode.
    Expected: The system should go into standby mode after 1 minute.

Additional info:
This occurs because tones keeps an instance of nvwave.WavePlayer which it does not close after each tone plays. We do this so that we don't have to (synchronously) wait for the tone to finish playing. Calling tones.player.close() from the Python Console fixes this problem. Fixing this will require refactoring the tones code so that it calls player.idle() after each tone, which will probably need to be done in a background thread.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by briang1 on 2011-02-07 09:05

Mario Mannea mario.mannea@fuse.net
Hello all

I'm not intemetly familiar with the architecture and software behind nvda.
Years ago, when I was still heavily involved with development under .net and C-sharp, it was common practice to register callbacks with operating system events.
Is it possible to register for a stand-by mode event and thereby, give nvda the opportunity to close certain system resource, files and audio channels.
This is of course, a question for the developers who best to answer that.

Mario

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2011-02-07 10:07
Even if this were possible, the problem is that the system won't even consider going into standby while an audio device is open, so such an event would never be received. The correct solution is described above. I wrote some code to do this ages ago, but ran into other problems.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by briang1 on 2011-02-07 13:20
I had rather suspected this, but not actually understanding about what ges on in automatic standby, I thought it worth mentioning.
You almost need something in windows to look at it and actually ask, whether to shut it down if this is all that is going on, but then that would be invasive if listening to the radio I suppose.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

@jcsteh: Is this still an issue?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jul 19, 2017

I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure I've seen automatic standby work in the past few years. My guess is that this is an XP specific issue. It'd be great if someone can confirm that automatic standby works after playing beeps; e.g. progress bar beeps or mouse tracking beeps.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 18, 2017

@Brian1Gaff, is this something you could test?

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Nov 28, 2017

CC @Brian1Gaff

@Brian1Gaff
Copy link

Brian1Gaff commented Nov 28, 2017 via email

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

@Brian1Gaff I think there was some miscommunication here.

Would you mind testing this on your xp laptop:

1. Ensure that no other background tasks which will prevent standby are running; e.g. audio players, etc.
  2. Set the system standby time to 1 minute. (In Windows XP, Control Panel -> Power Options -> Power Schemes tab -> System standby...)
  3. Get NVDA to play some beeps; e.g. progress bar beeps or mouse tracking beeps.
  4. Wait a little more than 1 minute and confirm that automatic standby works.

Thanks!

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Nov 29, 2017

Is there any point in doing XP specific testing given that we no longer support XP? It might make more sense to test this on Windows 7 (the earliest OS we now support). If the problem doesn't exist there, we can happily close this.

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

I was suggesting this based on a comment suggesting this was likely specific to XP. But if someone has encountered it on another machine, that would handy to know also. If we can reliably reproduce on XP, and using the same machine/steps not reproduce on later OS, then we can close the issue.

That said, reliable steps to reproduce (on any machine / OS) are required to progress the issue.

@Brian1Gaff
Copy link

Brian1Gaff commented Nov 29, 2017 via email

@Brian1Gaff
Copy link

Brian1Gaff commented Nov 29, 2017 via email

@Brian1Gaff
Copy link

Brian1Gaff commented Dec 2, 2017 via email

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Dec 2, 2017

@Brian1Gaff, do you have a Windows 7 machine in which you could test this issue? If the problem doesn't exist there, we can close this issue.
On Windows 7, in the power settings, set the automatic system standby to occur when the computer has been inactive for a period of time.
Do something on the computer that would cause progress bar beeps (copying files, for example), and let the computer sit until it goes into standby.
If the computer is able to automatically go into standby on Windows 7, then I think we can safely close this issue.

@Brian1Gaff
Copy link

Brian1Gaff commented Dec 2, 2017 via email

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

I have tested this on a Windows 7 VM, I wasn't able to reproduce it.

• I went to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings and set "put the computer to sleep" to 1 min.
  • I then copied a bunch of files, to hear the beeps.
  • I waited 1 minute and the VM suspended.

While this may be sound driver specific, I think we can close this issue.

If anyone can reproduce this, please comment / reopen.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

6 participants