Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Error is produced in OpenOffice Writer 4.1 Beta after selecting some text, accessing applications menu, changing an attribute and attempting to move by word once returned to the document #4004

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 20, 2014 · 4 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by RobertSpangler on 2014-03-20 18:52
Performing the following steps produces the below error with NVDA and OpenOffice Writer 4.1 Beta:

1. Launch Writer. A new document is opened.
  2. Type in the text:
    this is a test
  3. Using the standard Windows text selection keys, select the word "is"
  4. Press the applications key or shift+F10 to bring up the context menu.
  5. Arrow down to "Style" and open the menu.
  6. Select "Bold."
  7. Now, the menu will close and you will be returned to the body of the document. If you attempt to move by word with either ctrl+left or ctrl+right arrows, you will hear the NVDA error sound and nothing will occur. In order to be able to navigate again, you will need to press the down arrow key. This will remove the selection and move down to the next line.

I am aware that, in Writer, it is not necessary to select a word; the program will automatically apply formatting changes to the word under the cursor. This bug occurs even if you do not select the text first, however.

Here is the debug output. This same block of output appeared for each time that I attempted navigation with ctrl+left/right arrows.
ERROR - eventHandler.executeEvent (14:42:45):
error executing event: caret on <NVDAObjects.Dynamic_SymphonyParagraphSymphonyTextEditableTextWithAutoSelectDetectionIAccessible object at 0x052A0E10> with extra args of {}
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "eventHandler.pyc", line 143, in executeEvent
File "eventHandler.pyc", line 91, in init
File "eventHandler.pyc", line 98, in next
File "compoundDocuments.pyc", line 411, in event_caret
File "compoundDocuments.pyc", line 388, in makeTextInfo
File "compoundDocuments.pyc", line 217, in init
File "NVDAObjects__init__.pyc", line 911, in makeTextInfo
File "textInfos\offsets.pyc", line 280, in init
File "textInfos\offsets.pyc", line 159, in _getCaretOffset
NotImplementedError

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

nvaccessAuto commented Mar 21, 2014

Comment 1 by jteh on 2014-03-21 00:09
This is due to OpenOfficeBug:123631, which I filed several months ago. In short, OpenOffice doesn't restore focus when you exit a context menu after selecting an item. OpenOfficeBug:123630 will cause similar problems.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@jcsteh Could you please check and let us know the current status of the causative OpenOffice bugs 123630 and 123631 as cited in #4004 (comment)?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@robertspangler is this still reproducible? @Qchristensen maybe you could test if possible as well?

@Qchristensen
Copy link

Qchristensen commented Jan 16, 2019

I can confirm this is still reproducible. The two issues against Open Office noted in the initial report are also still open as CONFIRMED. The question then is, assuming the OO devs fix those issues, will that also resolve this issue, and / or is there any additional work we should do from the NVDA side?

(Edit: I meant to add): Tested using NVDA 2018.4.1 and Apache Open Office 4.1.6 AOO416m1 (Build 9790) Rev 1844436, 2018-10-23 12:57

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants