Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Support Adobe Reader Touch #4008

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 21, 2014 · 6 comments
Closed

Support Adobe Reader Touch #4008

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 21, 2014 · 6 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by supanut2000 on 2014-03-21 13:02
Hi,
Could you please improve NVDA's support for metro apps on Windows 8 and 8.1 in the next or future release? Some apps, like Adobe Reader Touch, doesn't work with NVDA.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2014-03-21 15:42
Please provide more specific information. Just as with desktop apps, the accessibility of these apps varies greatly depending on the application. If there's a particular issue you encounter with all apps, please elaborate. If it's different issues with the individual apps, this should first be reported to the app developers.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by supanut2000 (in reply to comment 1) on 2014-03-21 16:20
Replying to jteh:

Please provide more specific information. Just as with desktop apps, the accessibility of these apps varies greatly depending on the application. If there's a particular issue you encounter with all apps, please elaborate. If it's different issues with the individual apps, this should first be reported to the app developers.

To be more specific, NVDA doesn't work with Adobe Reader Touch at all. When I press tab or anything, NVDA appears not to be reading anything on the screen. That's the only app that I found not to work with NVDA so far, according to my test run of the operating system.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by k_kolev1985 on 2014-03-21 16:37
Speaking of Adobe Reader, isn't there a way to make NVDA work with the built-in "Reader" app in Windows 8.1? I've tested the "Reader" app with Narrator and although it took me some time to move the object navigator (Narrator cursor) inside the document content, I've managed to make Narrator read the content of a PDF file acceptably good. With NVDA, I can't read the same PDF file neither with the object navigation nor with the virtual cursor (even though I've tried to force the browse mode of NVDA with NVDA+Spacebar).

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh (in reply to comment 4) on 2014-12-02 06:30
Replying to k_kolev1985:

Speaking of Adobe Reader, isn't there a way to make NVDA work with the built-in "Reader" app in Windows 8.1?

It does work to some extent with the review cursor; at least, next line does.

With NVDA, I can't read the same PDF file neither with the object navigation nor with the virtual cursor (even though I've tried to force the browse mode of NVDA with NVDA+Spacebar).

You need to use the text review commands (in desktop layout, for example, numpad9 is next line). The correct object should get focus automatically, so you just need to use the text review commands, not object navigation. Please comment in #4050 if you are seeing issues even with this. Let's keep this ticket to Adobe Reader Touch.
Changes:
Changed title from "NVDA and metro apps" to "Support Adobe Reader Touch"

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@jcsteh Given that we have no means of contacting the original author of this ticket, do you think we have sufficient information to diagnose this issue or should we close it for the time being? Could the Github username of k_kolev1985 also be shared by someone and consequently mentioned?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Aug 7, 2017

The reporter suggests that no focus is reported at all in this app, but we don't know anything beyond that. It might be useful to have an advanced user take a look and see if they can figure anything out. That said, Adobe don't seem to be promoting this at all and Adobe Reader desktop is accessible for screen reader users, so I'm going to close this as won't fix. We can reopen if there is demand for this.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants