Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Torrents list in latest uTorrent not read correctly by NVDA #4009

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 21, 2014 · 9 comments
Closed

Torrents list in latest uTorrent not read correctly by NVDA #4009

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 21, 2014 · 9 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by k_kolev1985 on 2014-03-21 13:33
Under Windows 8.1 Pro N 64-bit, NVDA does not read the list of torrents in latest uTorrent.

Steps to reproduce it:

1. Install the latest stable version of uTorrent: 3.4.0.30660.
  2. Load a list of torrents.
  3. Move the keyboard/system focus to the list of torrents with the TAB key, if it is not already there.
  4. Move the keyboard/system focus in the list of torrents with the up/down arrow keys.

Actual results:
NVDA does not read the name of the currently selected torrent in the list. It does read its number and I think all other information, but not the name.

Expected results:
NVDA should read the name of the torrent for the currently selected item.

My system specifications:

• NVDA version next-10440,0517f65; 2014.1.
  • uTorrent version: 3.4.0.30660 (in its titlebar it says that it is a 32-bit version, but I can't find a 64-bit one on its site).
@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by briang1 on 2014-03-21 17:14
This problem seems to have been coming and going in this app on all windows versions for some time. It has in effect meant I've turned updates off and stuck to one that works for a couple of years now.
I'm not sure what they are actually doing here, but they obviously change something.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by k_kolev1985 on 2014-04-04 19:16
Yes, I also think that they have changed something (probably in 3.4.0), because I've downgraded to 3.3.2 and have no problems with the torrents list. So, for the time being, I'm staying with this 3.3.2 version, witch has worked very good for me for a long time. Not to mention, that in 3.4.1, they've commenced to display balloon tooltips with some "bundles" offerings, witch is very annoying. I'm sad to say that uTorrent is no longer what it was - a very lightweight and very accessible BitTorrent client, but that's a different story.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by mohammed on 2014-08-28 05:21
has any one of you found a better bit torrent client? I saw some changesets dealing with this client, but I know it is not practical to keep trying to fix broken stuff every other version.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by mohammed on 2015-01-30 16:22
can Jamie move the text in the "Changes document entry (for developers)" to the discription field?

thanks.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@k_kolev1985 Do you still experience the reported issue in the presently latest version of uTorrent with NVDA 2017.3?

@k-kolev1985
Copy link

Yes, the bug is still present, as I mentioned in another ticket here. The testing was done with uTorrent 3.5 build 43916 32-bit and the one of the latest "next" snapshots of NVDA.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@k-kolev1985 I guess the issue is still reproducible. Right? I saw such issues in Usenet software as well some time ago. Such application are based on quite old technologies and if they are updated then the updates are actually quite minor. To be honnest I doubt that they will implement proper accessibility regarding lists. Did you try to write an e-mail to the developers of the software?

@k-kolev1985
Copy link

@Adriani90 Yes, the issue is still reproducible. And no - I haven't contacted the uTorrent developers about it and I'll probably will not do it, because I doubt it they will take it in consideration at all.

I think a fix for broken reading of list views in 64-bit programs (particularly "TortoiseSVN") has managed to fix this. But that fix was lost while changing from "next" to "alpha" snapshots (which happened some time in July) and it is still not committed again.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I
ve tested with NVDA 2022.4 and utorrent 3.6.0, the list can be accessed with NVDA just fine. I am closing this issue as works for me, please feel free to comment in case you still have the issue with NvDA 2022.4 and the last version of Utorrent. Note that they also have a web client which is very accessible.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants