Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Note in the User Guide About the Update, Concerning Portable Copies #4020

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 24, 2014 · 3 comments · Fixed by #6355
Closed

Note in the User Guide About the Update, Concerning Portable Copies #4020

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 24, 2014 · 3 comments · Fixed by #6355

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by ateu on 2014-03-24 10:13
Hi

I've received some questions from the Portuguese List with respect the NVDA updates when using a portable copy.
For this reason, I suggest to be added a text about this in the User Guid.
Someting as:
Note that if you are using a portable copy, when you update, NVDA will not automatically update your copy, but just to save the updated launcher in your download folder, allowing you from there to update your portable copy or to install it.

This text is just a suggestion, but my English doesnt helps.

Thanks

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by briang1 on 2014-03-24 16:06
Actually, what happens when you use a portable copy and it wants to update depends on which browser you have set as default, and the choices made for downloads in that browser. Maybe it needs to be made clearer that portable copies use the download routines in the browser, not nvdas own download system as installed copies do. Thus, for example, if I use IE8, and select to run, then when its downloaded it will say, are you sure you want to run this software, and if i say yes, it will run the downloaded program and allow it to be installed or saved as a portable version etc. If I say save, then yes, it will save it to my default download folder and allow me to run it or not.
The installer as you know also allows one to run it from the temp or indeed any other folder its in, without installing or creating a portable copy as well.

So, its not as cut and dried and obvious as you might think here. to add what you suggest, will not convey the actual position to all users, as it depends on other choices made outside of nvda.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

CC @jcsteh @josephsl @Qchristensen

@Qchristensen
Copy link

This could certainly be worth mentioning as a limitation of portable versions. I'll have to think on the wording, I can't come up with anything I like tonight!

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

Successfully merging a pull request may close this issue.

3 participants