Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Issues navigating multi-page word documents #4025

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 25, 2014 · 9 comments
Closed

Issues navigating multi-page word documents #4025

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 25, 2014 · 9 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by ashleycox on 2014-03-25 21:03
When reading a multi-page word document using the down arrow key, NVDA will sometimes skip entire pages. In order to get NVDA to focus on teh desired page, you must arrow back up to the previous line of text, and use character or word reading commands to navigate to the end of the line, and then right arrow to the first character of the next page.
I've attached a word document in which this problem occurs

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

nvaccessAuto commented Mar 25, 2014

Attachment review cambridge audio 851a.docx added by ashleycox on 2014-03-25 21:03
Description:
An example document
Update:
Attachment added from Trac
review cambridge audio 851a.docx.zip

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2014-03-25 22:11
Are you sure this is due to pages and not text columns? See #3995.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by ashleycox (in reply to comment 1) on 2014-03-25 22:50
Replying to jteh:

Are you sure this is due to pages and not text columns? See #3995.

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with text columns - the error only occurs at the end of pages, and as far as I'm aware there's only 1 column of text; see the attached word file for an example.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

bhavyashah commented Aug 12, 2017

I believe this issue has been reported in another ticket too, although I may be wrong. Regardless, I can confirm the reported bug in Microsoft Office Word 2010 where there aren't multiple text columns or any complications of the sort. At one point in time, this was extremely frustrating, but as Ashley stated, character navigation and word navigation does land on the next page itself, rather than skipping a page and jumping to the one after that, something I discovered later.

@ThomasStivers
Copy link
Contributor

This is not an NVDA specific issue, nor a Word 2010 specific issue. Word can display pages side by side. When Word is set to display multiple pages side by side it is logical that navigating down would move to pages on the left side. The solution is to set word to display only one page at a time. I was able to duplicate this issue in Word 2016, but I do not believe it is an NVDA issue.

@k-kolev1985
Copy link

Exactly. This can happen if the page is zoomed out enough that 2 pages can fit side by side on the screen, which is easier to occur on a wide-screen monitor and/or with higher screen resolution set. That is why I set the page zoom to "fit width". To do that while a document is opened, press F6 to go to the status bar; press TAB a few times to get to the Zoom button, which displays the zoom value as well and press ENTER on it. In the "Zoom" dialog, from the group of radio buttons, select "Page width" and press ENTER to close the dialog and apply the changes. And unless a document has a specific zoom level specified for it (I think it is possible), Word will apply the selected zoom level for all documents from now onward (in our case - "page width").

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I suggest to close this issue since changing the view in the word document solves it actually. Thus, NVDA behaves correctly. This can also be seen in jaws.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

cc: @ehollig

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Dec 24, 2018

Closing

@ehollig ehollig closed this as completed Dec 24, 2018
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

6 participants