Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Add a option to read punctuations when inputting them. #4029

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 27, 2014 · 4 comments
Open

Add a option to read punctuations when inputting them. #4029

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 27, 2014 · 4 comments
Labels
component/speech enhancement p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by vgjh2005 on 2014-03-27 09:00
Hi:
I hope add a option to allow NVDA to read and browse punctuation that has been inputted one by one. There are two reasons::

1. We can use it to desided if our inputting is successful.
    2.Let us check out the document that if it is property. Use it , we will not take mistake when we are writting the document.
    Thanks.
@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2014-03-27 09:04
Please be more specific. If you use the left and right arrow keys, NVDA will move through the line character by character and report each character, including punctuation. If you set the punctuation/symbol level to all (e.g. by pressing NVDA+p), NVDA will report all punctuation wherever it occurs. As I understand it, both of these satisfy your request.

@rimas-kudelis
Copy link

I was going to file a similar bug, but I think the idea is same as here, so I'm clarifying this one instead.

I have a friend who uses NVDA, and what she wants is for the SPACE replacement symbol not to be spoken during input, but to remain spoken in certain other cases. Right now, "Character" being the topmost speech level, this is impossible: she either has not to use replacement for the space character at all (so that it is not spoken when entered), or, if she wants that character spoken during text review for example, she automatically has to "endure" it being spoken during input.

Having a separate checkbox to enable/disable speaking each symbol during input, instead of always speaking the replacement, would give users more power to decide what they want to hear under what circumstances.

@feerrenrut feerrenrut added the p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority label Nov 14, 2016
@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

The request is not very clear here. So my understanding is that people want to have a checkbox for each symbol and punctuation sign in the symbols and punctuation dialog which allows to decide whether the symbol is spoken when typing or not.

cc: @CyrilleB79 just to get a confirmation that my understanding is correct here.

Note: implementing such a feature would mean to overwrite the current states of punctuation levels defined in NVDA, so there should be definitely also a way to restore back the standard settings.

@CyrilleB79
Copy link
Collaborator

@vgjh2005 do you still need this feature?

If yes, could you give a more detailed description:

• Is this request due to a problem? If yes, which one?
  • Could you describe the new feature and explain it with an example?

Thanks.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
component/speech enhancement p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants