Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA reads Windows 8.1 toast notifications twice when unnecessary animations disabled #4052

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 5, 2014 · 13 comments
Labels

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by k_kolev1985 on 2014-04-05 19:57
I don't know why I haven't noticed this earlier, but today I've noticed it: NVDA reads toast notifications twice in Windows 8.1. I think It does not matter from witch app comes the notification: I was able to reproduce it with toast notifications from the modern Skype, the autoplay function of Windows and from the Windows Store (for a complete install of an app).

Steps to reproduce it:

1. Load NVDA.
  2. Make a toast notification appear. The easiest way to do it is to insert a media witch will trigger an autoplay toast notification to appear (e.g. a CD/DVD or an USB flash drive).
  3. Listen to NVDA's speech output, without interrupting it.

'''Actual results:''' NVDA reads the notification twice.

'''Expected results:''' NVDA should read the toast notification only once, since it appears only once and not twice on the screen.

'''System specifications:'''

• Windows version: Windows 8.1 Pro N, 64-bit, in bulgarian.
  • NVDA version: next-10455,b3deb14, 2014.1.
@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2014-04-05 20:29
I'm also running Windows 8.1 64 bit and can't reproduce this. I thought perhaps it was some weird bug related to both reporting of help balloons and tool tips being enabled, but I tested that and it didn't occur then either. Can you please try without add-ons (if any) to see whether one of those is the culprit?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by k_kolev1985 on 2014-04-06 09:35
I've removed all add-ons, but the bug still occurs. I must note however, that it may not occur if a toast pops for the first time (maybe for a session of NVDA running). But after the next toast pops up, the bug occurs. In the case with the autoplay notification, I unplug the device and plug it back again after a few seconds and the bug occurs. I also must note, that I've set my toast notifications to stay for longer time (I think - 30 seconds), so I can have the chance to interact with them. Another thing on my system that might differ is the used (enabled) high-contrast color scheme in Control Panel -> Personalization.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by nvdakor on 2014-04-06 09:44
Hi all,
I can confirm this problem. Even with tooltip announcement set to disabled in Object Presentation dialog, toast notifications are still announced twice. Viewing the info for the navigator object tells me that we might have to do some debugging with UIA again.
Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2014-04-06 10:11
I can't reproduce this no matter how many toasts I cause to appear. This is going to make it almost impossible for me to debug. A log at level debug might help, but I doubt it.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by k_kolev1985 on 2014-04-07 15:58
Hi Jamie,

I Think I've found the culprit. It is an accessibility option in Windows. If you go in Control Panel -> Ease of Access -> Using the computer without a display, you'll find an option witch says "Turn off all unnecessary animations, where possible". By default, I don't turn this function on, but it was turned on now (probably by Window-Eyes for Office", witch I installed these days for test purposes). I turned it off and NVDA stopped repeating twice the toast notifications. Hope that Window-Eyes doesn't turn it on again, when I use it for my tests (smile).

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2014-04-07 22:19
Ah. I can confirm that this sometimes happens for me with unnecessary animations disabled, though it still doesn't happen every time.
Changes:
Changed title from "NVDA reads Windows 8.1 toast notifications twice" to "NVDA reads Windows 8.1 toast notifications twice when unnecessary animations disabled"

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@k_kolev1985 Since this ticket is more than three years old and Windows 8.1 updates may have affected the reported issue too, could you please provide a status update by sharing whether or not this still occurs with Windows 8.1 with all recent updates installed and NVDA 2017.3? If the answer is yes, I would like to kindly request @jcsteh to share his thoughts on whether this can be fixed by NVDA itself, or feedback needs to be sent to Microsoft alerting them of this bug.

@k-kolev1985
Copy link

I only have a virtual machine with Windows 8.1 at the moment with a "next" snapshot of NVDA installed there. I can check to see if the bug is still reproducible, but it will have to wait for at least the next week, because I'll be away from my computer for the next few days.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@k-kolev1985 can you try to reproduce this issue again? Is this still an issue?

@k-kolev1985
Copy link

Oops, I forgot to do the testing last year after being away from my PC for a few days in September. My apologies. I've done the testing now and the bug is still reproducible.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@k-kolev1985 do you see this behavior also in Windows 10 or 11? I cannot reproduce this on my end in Windows 10 with NVDA 2022.4.

@k-kolev1985
Copy link

I cannot reproduce this under Windows 11 22H2 with the latest alpha snapshot of NVDA. So, I guess it affects only Windows 8.1. Since Windows 8.1 is no longer supported by Microsoft and the problem probably comes from Windows itself, we might as well close this issue/ticket.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Thanks @k-kolev1985 for the fast reply. Closing as not planed since it probably affects only Windows 8.1 which is out of support.

@Adriani90 Adriani90 closed this as not planned Won't fix, can't repro, duplicate, stale Mar 1, 2023
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants