Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA should provide more events #4061

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 7, 2014 · 2 comments
Closed

NVDA should provide more events #4061

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 7, 2014 · 2 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by mohammed on 2014-04-07 16:48
in a response on why he couldn't do an NVDA addon for skype, Dug Lee commented in an audio message: http://www.dlee.org/nj1.mp3, that NVDA doesn't natively fire events necessary to track certain things within skype such a window created event. Since I am very interested to see some progress on more support for Skype in NVDA I thought to create this ticket to hear what devs have to say, and also to track progress in NVDA core that would make such a thing possible. since I am not a programmer, I may have expressed things in a confusing language. please feel free to give better discription.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2014-04-07 22:06
Window created events are far too expensive to fire unconditionally; this could cause a noticeable performance problem. These would be fired for any window that was created anywhere on the system, possibly even hidden windows. Whenever we fire an event, we have to create an object for it, which involves quite a few queries and has to run code in the core, app modules and global plugins. This is the same reason we filter the show event to only specific cases.

Note that we will probably add support for requesting of specific events for specific cases (e.g. the show event in Skype) as part of #3831. However, we will probably never support the create event for the reasons I gave above.
Changes:
Added labels: wontfix
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2014-04-07 22:09
Btw, if there's absolutely no other way, it's possible to write your own win event hook in an app module which can watch for low level events, including create. I'd be very surprised if there wasn't another way to do something under than create, though.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant