Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Issues with NVDA on eBay #4063

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 9, 2014 · 8 comments
Closed

Issues with NVDA on eBay #4063

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 9, 2014 · 8 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by ashleycox on 2014-04-09 15:02
Browsing eBay causes NVDA to become unresponsive. To reproduce, simply search for something on ebay.co.uk. This happens using firefox and IE (those are the 2 browsers I've tried). This is with add-ons disabled.
Blocked by #1668

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by briang1 on 2014-04-10 15:49
Now here is a strange thing. I went on the site with xp and the latest next snap and firefox 28, and did a search and spent some minutes reading the list with no slow down at all. Javascript is on. the machine is just a boring single core 2.6gig pentium 4.
I'd expect this issue to be worse on a slower machine, or is this a problem in Windows 7?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2014-04-11 00:22
I can't reproduce this in either Firefox or IE. I made a purchase on Ebay just a few days ago (including quite a bit of searching) with no problems. I just tested searching on ebay.co.uk and have no performance problems at all.

What speech synthesiser and language are you using? If not eSpeak, can you please try with eSpeak and report? It seems unlikely, but synths can actually cause problems when they encounter certain strings.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by ashleycox (in reply to comment 2) on 2014-04-11 09:14
Replying to jteh:

I can't reproduce this in either Firefox or IE. I made a purchase on Ebay just a few days ago (including quite a bit of searching) with no problems. I just tested searching on ebay.co.uk and have no performance problems at all.

What speech synthesiser and language are you using? If not eSpeak, can you please try with eSpeak and report? It seems unlikely, but synths can actually cause problems when they encounter certain strings.

It's very strange. I was forced to reinstall windows last night - and after reinstalling everything, it works fine. Can't possibly think what would've been causing it, as I had all add-ons disabled.

I was using eSpeak.

Now that the responsiveness has cleared up - the only thing that's not working is the visual editor on the sell page. Any ideas?
Changes:
Changed title from "NVDA Unresponsive on eBay" to "Issues with NVDA on eBay"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh (in reply to comment 3) on 2014-04-14 04:53
Replying to ashleycox:

the only thing that's not working is the visual editor on the sell page. Any ideas?

Can you be more specific about what is happening? If it's an editor which allows you to put links, etc. in the text, the links, etc. aren't reading and you're using Firefox, this is probably due to NVDA's lack of proper support for Mozilla rich text editing (see #1668).

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by ashleycox (in reply to comment 4) on 2014-04-14 08:30
Replying to jteh:

Replying to ashleycox:

the only thing that's not working is the visual editor on the sell page. Any ideas?

Can you be more specific about what is happening? If it's an editor which allows you to put links, etc. in the text, the links, etc. aren't reading and you're using Firefox, this is probably due to NVDA's lack of proper support for Mozilla rich text editing (see #1668).

I'm using the visual editor, with firefox. I've found that when typing directly into the editor or pasting from an application such as wordpad or notepad, NVDA has no problem interacting with the contents of the editor - I.E, text reads fine, and I can format the text as normal using the editor controls.
If however you paste from word, NVDA can't read the contents of the editor. After pasting from word, clicking on the 'html' tab shows that there is some word-specific markup. Could this be causing the problem?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2014-04-14 08:54
I suspect it's being wrapped in a paragraph or similar, which might cause problems until #1668 is implemented.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

#1668 has already been implemented and the issues pertaining to unresponsiveness have been resolved as reported in #4063 (comment). Time to close? @ehollig

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 3, 2017

Closing because of the implantation of #1668 and the issues pertaining to unresponsiveness have been resolved as reported in #4063 (comment). Closing

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants