Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA does not read selected items in the extended lists (combo boxes with a "multiple" property) when the list is collapsed (Firefox) #407

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 1, 2010 · 7 comments
Labels
bug feature/browse-mode p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by vtsaran on 2009-08-30 22:09
NVDA does not render the names (values) of selected items in the extended lists into the virtual buffer (see attached example).

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment listtext.html added by vtsaran on 2009-08-30 22:11
Description:
A quick HTML example of an extended list that uses the "multiple" property

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

@jcsteh: Would it be possible to get the former attachment from the trac archive back so it is possible to investigate whether this problem still exists?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jun 13, 2017

listtext.html.txt (rename to .html)

This issue still exists. It isn't specific to multi-select lists; NVDA doesn't render the selected item for single select lists either.

I was originally concerned about performance here because crawling all children to work out which ones are selected sounds like a performance killer. However, IAccessible::accSelection can return multiple children, though whether browsers actually fully implement this is an open question.

@jcsteh jcsteh added the p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority label Jun 13, 2017
@fisher729
Copy link

@jcsteh @LeonarddeR I think this can be closed now. Using Firefox and NVDA 2019.1.1, I press Enter on the list, and can move to its three items.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Apr 23, 2019

It's true that this was partially fixed in #9166. However, I made a decision there to only render the first selected item, rather than all selected items. My concern with rendering all selected items is that there could be a lot of them. Strictly speaking, this issue asks for all values in a multiple select list box to be rendered. Personally, I don't think we should do this, but that's not really my decision. CC @michaelDCurran for an authoritative opinion.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

maybe @feerrenrut can propose further steps in regard to this issue considering @jcsteh's opinion above?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Actually I agree with the comment by Jamie above. I would say it would be enough to know the first selected element in browse mode when the list is colapsed along with the number of all other selected elements, like proposed in #5005.
For example "list box volvo and 5 other elements selected".
When expanding the list and navigating in focus mode, one could navigate the selected items by ctrl+up and ctrl+down arrow.

Thus, I am closing this issue in favor of #5005 where this discussion can be continued.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
bug feature/browse-mode p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants