Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Add Chinese words segmentation support. #4075

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 15, 2014 · 7 comments
Open

Add Chinese words segmentation support. #4075

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 15, 2014 · 7 comments
Labels
enhancement feature/i18n Internationalization features

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by vgjh2005 on 2014-04-15 10:16
Hi
Please add Chinese words segmentation support. Separating each word in English is very simple. But Chinese is a very very complex language. It is very difficult to separate them from a sentence or even an article. Making a correct segmentation could help us to appreciate what the article is expression. on the contrary, it will cause critical error. Text will be cutted by a space according to the word in braille. It also could be used to control numpad4 and numpad6 movement in document browse mode and screen browse mode. The numpad4 and numpad6 is the same as numpad1 and numpad3 that move by a character in Chinese.
There are two segmenting plugins that is based on python. Please choose the first one if possible.
NLPIR2014
Jieba
Thanks a lot!!!

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

@vgjh2005: I assume you mean this specifically for NVDA's review cursor commands?

@vgjh2005
Copy link

Hi:
Do you know word segmentation? This technology could help us to understand text by braille. In Chinese braille, all text is seperated by word with space. Now, it is too hard to read something by braille display. Certainly, word navigation is also helpful.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@vgjh2005 how is this behavior now in NVDA last alpha version?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

cc: @larry801, @dingpengyu could you please test if this is still an issue in the alst alpha version of NVDA?

@feerrenrut feerrenrut added the feature/i18n Internationalization features label Apr 29, 2020
@cary-rowen
Copy link
Contributor

Hello @Adriani90 @LeonarddeR @seanbudd

This issue is still active. In short, due to the lack of support for Chinese word segmentation,
when Chinese users are reviewing Chinese content, the Numpad4 / Numpad6 can only move by character instead of word. So this excellent feature is almost ineffective for Chinese users.

I'd love to keep an eye on this issue and if nvaccess or anyone else needs more information from me I'll be happy to help.

Grateful

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Related to #16237.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@cary-rowen I think you referenced #16237 in the wrong issue. I think though they are related. You have indeed proposed to include functionalities of @mltony's add-on, however, when we review such an issue on a core level we look at enhancements that can be done globally and your main problem is word handling which we don't have yet in NVDA core. @mltony's add-on is certainly a good point to start with and if that will be proposed as a PR, a wider part of the community will probably bring up new perspectives into it.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
enhancement feature/i18n Internationalization features
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

6 participants