Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Ability to Automatically Turn Off the Numlock #4093

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 26, 2014 · 5 comments
Open

Ability to Automatically Turn Off the Numlock #4093

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 26, 2014 · 5 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by ateu on 2014-04-26 10:22
Hi

Received from a member of the Portuguese list.

Sometimes, when using shared computers, We have problems with the numlock keys, which are generally turned on by sighted people.
This may cause some problems if the user accidentally press a numlock key with numlock on, especially if an application which uses numlock keys with its command keys is running.
For this reason, it would be fine if NVDA automatically can turn of the numlock, like some commercial screen readers does.
This also would be an option, which the user could enable through a check box.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by briang1 on 2014-04-26 17:11
This though, presumably needs to remember how it was before running nvda, then put it back to that afterwards.
Myself, I tend to hit numlock key when nvda has loaded and its simple to tell when its on and off as it tells you.
An alternative may just be to make the start up sequence say, nvda loaded, numlock on or off accordingly, leaving the user to hit the key if needed.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

I tend to agree with @Brian1Gaff's suggestion that while NVDA should automatically disable the NumLock, it should announce the same on startup as well, so that users can enable it back again having been alerted about it. I am not too sure if a toggle for this behaviour would be a requisite or an overkill.

@Brian1Gaff
Copy link

Brian1Gaff commented Aug 12, 2017 via email

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

Personally, I am against this feature, a screen reader shouldn't fiddle with these settings. This is my personal opinion though. Having said that, it will probably have high implementation costs while hardly improving things. Unless this is going to be a won't fix, leaning towards a p4.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@Robert-J-H has created an add-on for this.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants