Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Upgrade to BRLTTY 5.1/BRLAPI 0.6.2 #4147

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 19, 2014 · 6 comments
Closed

Upgrade to BRLTTY 5.1/BRLAPI 0.6.2 #4147

nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 19, 2014 · 6 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by nvdakor on 2014-05-19 10:47
Hi,
Someone from the developer list asked about using BRLTTY/BRLAPI 5.1/0.6.2, which includes various updates and adds support for more displays. The full changelog can be found at:
http://mielke.cc/brltty/doc/ChangeLog.txt
Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by nvdakor on 2014-05-19 10:56
Hi,
Few helpful entries from the changelog that might be helpful:

• BRLTTY now uses Git for version control, so we could try BRLTTY source as a submodule unless if all we're including is BRLAPI py file.
  • Some people said on the development list that they're having issues with Seika driver for NVDA, so perhaps we might borrow BRLTTY's implementation. This also includes support for Echo displays (Braille driver for Eco display #4078).
    Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2014-06-06 04:16
There's no publicly available Windows build of BRLTTY 5.1; at least, I can't find one. There's no point in us even investigating this until there is.

Btw, we can't "borrow" BRLTTY driver implementations for native drivers. It's possible to learn from them, but the architecture is far too different to allow for direct porting.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

Now that BRLTTY can be used in Windows 10 Narrator, is there anything we should do with this issue?

CC @josephsl

@josephsl
Copy link
Collaborator

josephsl commented May 25, 2017 via email

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

LeonarddeR commented May 25, 2017 via email

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented May 25, 2017

@leonardder commented on May 26, 2017, 5:14 AM GMT+10:

Now that BRLTTY can be used in Windows 10 Narrator, is there anything we should do with this issue?

Our current BRLAPI bindings already work with the latest BRLTTy; confirmed by a user in #6764 (comment). Furthermore, there are now official Windows builds on the BRLTTY download page. Therefore, I think this issue can be closed. Is there any way/reason you think Narrator's use of BRLTTY might affect us?

@josephsl commented on May 26, 2017, 5:15 AM GMT+10:

Hi, if Python 2 bindings still exist

Pre-built Python 2 bindings aren't provided any more (only Python 3), but as I noted above, our current bindings still work.

and provided that we deal with GPL 2 versus 3 licensing,

BRLAPI is licensed under LGPL 2.1 or later, so we're okay there.

@leonardder commented on May 26, 2017, 5:17 AM GMT+10:

The only thing I can mention is that I've never managed to get NVDA
working with recent BRLTTY, mostly due to crashes as soon as I set
BRLTTY as the braille display in NVDA.

According to #6764 (comment), this is fixed with BRLTTY 5.5. Two users have confirmed this.

@jcsteh jcsteh closed this as completed May 25, 2017
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants