Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Screen review doesn't work in "modern" apps in Windows 8.1 #4171

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 3, 2014 · 4 comments
Closed

Screen review doesn't work in "modern" apps in Windows 8.1 #4171

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 3, 2014 · 4 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by k_kolev1985 on 2014-06-03 08:26
I've noticed that screen review doesn't work correctly for reading text in "modern" apps in Windows 8.1. The commands for reviewing text instead reading the text in an object, report only "blank", as if there is no text for reviewing.

Steps to reproduce it:

1. Start NVDA.
  2. Open a "modern" app in Windows 8.1 (e.g. the "Weather" one).
  3. Switch NVDA to "screen review".
  4. Try reviewing the text on the screen via the text review commands.

'''Actual results:''' NVDA reports only "blank".

'''Expected results:''' NVDA should be able to report the text on the screen for "modern apps in Windows 8.1.

Test environment:

• Operating system: Windows 8.1 Pro N, 64-bit.
  • NVDA version: next-10666,9632e36; 2014.2.
@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2014-06-03 10:57
This is one of many limitations to display interception/"screen scraping" techniques and is why we generally advocate other methods of review. This is noted in the Screen Review section of the User Guide:
Note that in some newer applications, NVDA may not see some or all text displayed on the screen due to the use of newer screen drawing technologies which are impossible to support at this time.

It may be possible to support these newer screen drawing techniques, but it would probably be rather difficult and it may break frequently as Windows is updated. It would also only be a matter of time until yet another technique was introduced which wasn't supported.

I'd be curious to know if any other screen readers support this already. I doubt it, but I've heard rumours that some might.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

Modern apps in Windows 8.1 are hardly in use today in favour of UWD apps on Windows 10. Regardless, @jcsteh seems to suggest in #4171 (comment) that it may be difficult or impossible to support such screen scraping techniques consistently anyways. Thus, I suggest closing. @ehollig

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

I agree.

@josephsl
Copy link
Collaborator

josephsl commented Aug 12, 2017 via email

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants