Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Switch to new UEB tables #4194

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 13, 2014 · 5 comments
Closed

Switch to new UEB tables #4194

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 13, 2014 · 5 comments
Assignees
Milestone

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by jteh on 2014-06-13 05:52
NVDA is still using the old UEBC-* tables instead of the newer en-ueb-* tables. Originally, we didn't switch to the new tables because of some serious regressions such as computer braille being used for URLs. However, this was quite some time ago and these issues are very likely fixed now. The computer braille issue certainly is. Furthermore, the old tables are no longer being maintained at all. We should switch to the new tables (at least on next) and get any remaining regressions fixed in liblouis.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by nvdakor on 2014-06-13 10:41
Hi,
I hope our work would not be in vain...
For table names, should we keep using the current names for UEB tables, or should we use a different scheme like English (Unified) Grade 1/2? I personally propose the latter for consistency. Translators can copy the old translation to the new table entries.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh (in reply to comment 1) on 2014-12-02 04:22
Replying to nvdakor:

Joseph, Mesar, do you know the current status of this work? Do you think they're ready for wide spread use?

For table names, should we keep using the current names for UEB tables, or should we use a different scheme like English (Unified) Grade 1/2?

I understand the thinking here, but my problem with this is that the code is actually called Unified English Braille Code and that's how it's known to the public. You could argue that other codes have official names as well, but in those cases, there is normally only one code specific to that country, so most people don't care about the official name.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by nvdakor (in reply to comment 2) on 2014-12-02 06:04
Replying to jteh:

Replying to nvdakor:

Joseph, Mesar, do you know the current status of this work? Do you think they're ready for wide spread use?

I'd say so - at least for grade 1. Ken Perry is working on grade 2 (last time I heard), and we had talks about how to implement cap section rule (dots 6-6-6).

For table names, should we keep using the current names for UEB tables, or should we use a different scheme like English (Unified) Grade 1/2?

I understand the thinking here, but my problem with this is that the code is actually called Unified English Braille Code and that's how it's known to the public. You could argue that other codes have official names as well, but in those cases, there is normally only one code specific to that country, so most people don't care about the official name.

Got it. Let's see what UEB devs say on LibLouis list.
Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by nvdakor on 2014-12-02 18:09
Hi,
Ken Perry wrote to me saying the new UEB tables are not ready for primetime. He mentions a few issues, namely some weird contraction issues when forward translating and math isn't working in UEB.
Thanks.

@josephsl
Copy link
Collaborator

Hi,

To be combined with #6109 (keeping the old names, linking to new file names). Thanks.

josephsl added a commit to josephsl/nvda that referenced this issue Jun 23, 2016
…ccess#4194.

As the old uebc-g* tables are no longer maintained, it was decided to use the new en-ueb-g* set. Not only this makes the file names more consistent, it allows exciting changes to be included as part of LibLouis 3.0.0.
For string compatibility with old NVDA releases, table name presented to users will still be named Unified English Braille Code grade 1/2, with braille table name entries now mapped under en-ueb-g*.
@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added this to the 2016.4 milestone Oct 11, 2016
jcsteh pushed a commit that referenced this issue Oct 11, 2016
…nt enhancements to Unified English Braille. (#6109, #4194, #6220, #6140)

As there were quite a few changes to table file names required for this version of liblouis, this also includes code to migrate old table file names to new ones.
PR #6110.
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants