Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Adding new features in poedit modules. #4205

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 18, 2014 · 11 comments
Closed

Adding new features in poedit modules. #4205

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 18, 2014 · 11 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by dhankuta on 2014-06-18 08:04
In poEdit module, To indicate the category of the messages, a beeping feature is adopted. However, it does not indicate the exact state of the message. Whether it is untranslated, fuzzy or if translated but contains the same text as in original message (sometimes it happens by an accidental human slip!).
Let there be a different tone for:

1. unstranslated message.
  2. Fuzzy message.
  3. Translated as a simply copied original message.
  4. Properly translated (no beep for this)
    I suggest the changes and the made patch is as follows:
def event_gainFocus(self):
    super(sysListView32.ListItem, self).event_gainFocus()
    name1 = super(PoeditListItem,self)._getColumnContent(1) #The original message
    name2 = super(PoeditListItem,self)._getColumnContent(2) # The translated message.
    if self.isBold:
        if name2 is None: # Untranslated.
            tones.beep(700, 50)
        else: # Fuzzy message.
            tones.beep(500, 50)
    elif name1 == name2 # Same text in both  panes.
        tones.beep(300, 50)
@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by nvdakor on 2014-06-18 08:33
Hi,
Actually, there are times when copying the original translation is the best translation (for us, it's braille control type messages). I do understand about fuzzy messages, which might be helpful to allow translators to review the translation against a new revision of a string.
Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by dhankuta on 2014-06-18 09:38
The proposed third option of beeping is to track any human slip in a
rush of translation. Right now, there is no quick track method for
such accidental error. I Hope this may specially help in a long list
of translation.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by dhankuta on 2014-07-04 05:46
Further more, for more clarity, I suggest to include the following:

def _get_name(self):
    # If this item is untranslated or fuzzy, then it will be bold.
    # Other info on the web says that the background color of 
    # the item changes, but this doesn't seem to be true while testing.
    name = super(PoeditListItem,self).name
    translation= super(PoeditListItem,self)._getColumnContent(2)
    return name if not self.isBold else "** " + name if translation is None else "* " + name

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by dhankuta on 2014-07-10 11:02
Changes:
Changed title from "Enhancement in indicating poEdit message category." to "Adding new features in poedit modules."

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by dhankuta on 2014-07-10 11:08
Hi,
I am adding some more features in the modules. in addition to beep indication category, some more gestures are added. I am thinking to develop an addon for test and if accepted by users, we may consider it to include in nvda core.
Right now Let the status of this ticket remain as it is.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by blindbhavya on 2014-07-29 06:39
Hi.
In the Poedit Made Easy addon 1.0 dev,
Ctrl + Shift + R = reports source text
Ctrl + Shift + T = reports translation
Note : There are a few more such keyboard shortcuts.
I suggest that such keyboard shortcuts (given above) when pressed twice should spell the respective field and when pressed thrice should copy the contents of the respective field to the clipboard.
For e.g. Ctrl + Shift + T = reads the translation
Ctrl + Shift + T twice = spells the translation
Ctrl + Shift + T = copies the translation to the clipboard
I have heard from Mr. Him Prasad Gautam that he has been told by some users of his addon that:

• The keyboard shortcuts are superfluous as they can already access the desired information by Tabbing around.
    My thoughts on this
    Why should these keyboard shortcuts not be there?
    As a user myself, I have liked those keyboard shortcuts.
    If sighted people, can access the information without moving, why shouldn't blind people not have this facility?
  • The beeps are not required
    My thoughts
    The beeps are very necessary as they quickly help us to know the status of each message.
    I hope this the features of this addon may be implemented in the core of NVDA.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by blindbhavya on 2014-07-29 16:06
Hi.
I had encountered a situation in which I required to copy the translation text to the clipboard. However, since this applies to only one situation, I agree that the copy to clipboard feature is not really important.
However, if there is no more important command that you can assign to the shortcut thrice, spelling the respective field can be considered as an assignment.
If possible, can you provide an option in the Poedit addon to customize keystrokes used by NVDA? For e.g. the user should be able to customize that Ctrl + Shift + T reports the source text or perhaps Ctrl + Shift + R twice may report the spelling of the source text field, similar to the Input Gestures dialog box in NVDA.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by dhankuta (in reply to comment 9) on 2014-07-30 01:20
Replying to blindbhavya:

Hi.

I had encountered a situation in which I required to copy the translation text to the clipboard. However, since this applies to only one situation, I agree that the copy to clipboard feature is not really important.

However, if there is no more important command that you can assign to the shortcut thrice, spelling the respective field can be considered as an assignment.

If possible, can you provide an option in the Poedit addon to customize keystrokes used by NVDA? For e.g. the user should be able to customize that Ctrl + Shift + T reports the source text or perhaps Ctrl + Shift + R twice may report the spelling of the source text field, similar to the Input Gestures dialog box in NVDA.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

Him Prasad Sir did work on the Poedit Made Easy NVDA add-on which may be worth considering for inclusion in the community add-ons portal or integration in core itself, if it still holds relevance for the latest version of Poedit. If it doesn't work, unfortunately, Him Prasad Gautam AKA dhankuta is no more with us to continue work on the Poedit app module.

@josephsl
Copy link
Collaborator

josephsl commented Aug 26, 2017 via email

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 26, 2017

Closing, as suggested by @josephsl in #4205 (comment). This can be reopened, or a new issue can be created, if a new maintainer is found.

@ehollig ehollig closed this as completed Aug 26, 2017
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants