Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Improvements regarding silent installation #4206

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 18, 2014 · 9 comments
Closed

Improvements regarding silent installation #4206

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 18, 2014 · 9 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by jbrown630 on 2014-06-18 17:23
The silent install option is not working. When I run the command nvda_2014.2.exe /S the license agreement pops up and requires that you click accept before contiuning the installation.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by mdcurran on 2014-06-18 22:35
Please use the commandline argument --install
Changes:
Added labels: invalid
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2014-12-02 05:35
While --install does work, we need two things for this to be useful to most:

1. Document this, perhaps in a section of the User Guide regarding deployment; and
  2. Provide a command line option to prevent starting the new copy after installation; i.e. it should just exit. See this thread for the original discussion.
    Changes:
    Changed title from "Silent Install not working" to "Improvements regarding silent installation"
    Removed labels: invalid
    State: reopened

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by Michael Curran <mick@... on 2015-01-09 03:56
In [6e5f539]:

Merge branch 't4206' into next. Incubates #4206

Changes:
Added labels: incubating

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by briang1 on 2015-01-11 13:21
Hi just been pointed here after raising a ticket for quirky behaviour on auto updating in next. I think, from the forgoing about exiting and the oddities i and other get, seemingly randomly, this updat is being affected by something sent to the installer in auto, or requested updates.
Have a look at the ticket for more info on this. 4787 is the ticket.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by Michael Curran <mick@... on 2015-01-12 04:07
In [2a098d7]:

Merge branch 't4206' into next. Incubates #4206

--install again starts NVDA after installation by default. --install-silent should be used to install it silently (doesn't start NVDA after installation).
--start-after-install has been left in this branch for compatibility reasons.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by briang1 on 2015-01-12 08:48
What I cannot understand though is the way some machines were working as they used to and others did not. Surely as you say, this needs to be specified either in a command line or via some form of script when the file is run. My experiences show a very muddled situation on the original alterations, like it being silent but restarting and not actually running the update till switched into focus and then getting stuck in the bleeping routine until you do a restart, apart from the one i originally got where it updated non silently but did not restart afterwards with no prompts at all, and no way to apparently control it.
If was not for the fact that one person with windows 7 and one with 8 also had the issue, I was quite prepared for it to be an xp thing, hence the new ticket etc.
I'll wait for the download to become available and run each machine as is and see what happens.
I'll report back.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by briang1 on 2015-01-12 12:05
This has now worked on all machines, including the Windows 7 one that I have here.
I did have to force focus on the prompt for press a key on one machine, but that happens sometimes in any case.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by Michael Curran <mick@... on 2015-01-29 00:10
In [8b96a84]:

Merge branch 't4206'. Fixes #4206

Changes:
Removed labels: incubating
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by mdcurran on 2015-01-29 00:12
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2015.1

@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added this to the 2015.1 milestone Nov 10, 2015
michaelDCurran added a commit that referenced this issue Nov 23, 2015
michaelDCurran added a commit that referenced this issue Feb 15, 2017
…deprecated for around 2 years now.

--install installs and starts NVDA, --install-silent installs but does not start NVDA.
See issue #4206.
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants