Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Regressions in NVDA with Skype beta #4218

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 23, 2014 · 18 comments
Closed

Regressions in NVDA with Skype beta #4218

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 23, 2014 · 18 comments
Assignees
Labels
app/skype Skype for desktop or Skype for business (linc) bug
Milestone

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by k_kolev1985 on 2014-06-23 15:11
For some time now, the Skype team was experimenting with a new interface for the desktop version of Skype for Windows, mainly for the conversation windows. It was recently publicly announced that changes in the interface for the desktop version of Skype will be coming. Until recently however, I wasn't able to obtain a version of Skype with the new test interface. But these days I searched in their forum (the Skype community) and found a link for download of that new test version. I installed it and in general I like it. However, there are problems with NVDA with that new Skype version.

One of them is that sent and received chat messages are no longer automatically read by NVDA in the currently focused conversation.

The other one is that NVDA constantly gives its error sound when the focus lands in a conversation window.

The 2 mentioned issues may be related to one another, but I'm not sure. I'm attaching a log from NVDA with logging level set to "input/output". Hope it helps to diagnose the issues.

The link to download that new test version of Skype (at present - 6.16.64.105) is:
[forum topic from witch it was taken can be viewed here:
[http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Skype-for-Windows-version-6-16-is-available-now/m-p/3163956#M262703](http://download.skype.com/bf94b0508d33d968c9200839f080e127/partner/64/SkypeSetupFull.exe]
The)
Blocking #4589, #4710, #4725, #4735, #4740

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment NVDA_Skype_Log_2014-06-23 added by k_kolev1985 on 2014-06-23 15:12
Description:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2014-07-11 03:04
I really wish Skype would stop changing their a11y/GUI implementation every second version. :)

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2014-10-24 05:41
Skype 6.21 is now the official release, but I don't see the problems reported here. Was this new UI dropped at some point or is it present in 6.21?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by k_kolev1985 on 2014-10-24 06:52
Actually, the Skype team announced recently that they will apply that new interface to an eventual Skype for Windows desktop release. The new interface is already applied to the current stable version for MAC. There is a version of Skype for Windows desktop with that new interface publicly available for testing. For more information and for a link to download that test version, follow this link:
http://blogs.skype.com/2014/10/09/improved-skype-desktop-clients-for-a-dynamic-new-chat-experience/
But to be honest, I haven't tried it these days with NVDA - it is on my virtual test machine. I'll probably try it later today and will report if the bugs reported are still there.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by mohammed on 2014-10-24 07:29
I have that version on my laptop and it doesn't read incoming messages automatically. maybe that will be eventually fixed before they make it official.
Changes:
Changed title from "Regressions in NVDA with Skype 6.16.64.105" to "Regressions in NVDA with Skype beta"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2014-10-24 07:39
The problem is that any change I make now will almost certainly break existing versions of Skype. We could do version checks, but that makes things very complicated and error prone. I'm afraid we made need to wait until Skype decide they're going to actually release this before we can make any changes. Still, it might be worth me taking a look at the UI to make sure there are no major problems I need to report.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by k_kolev1985 on 2014-10-24 08:00
Jamie, actually there are a few things with accessibility, witch I think need reporting. I've published them in the Skype community forums, but there was no reaction as far as I know. Here are the links to the reports in the forum:
Partially broken accessibility for chat content items, witch have interaction controls included:
http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Bug-Report-Partially-broken-accessibility-for-chat-content-items/td-p/3635089
No proper accessibility string for sent/received contacts in a conversation:
http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/No-proper-accessibility-string-for-sent-received-contacts-in-a/m-p/3635107#M300503
They may have been fixed internally, but I don't know. I wasn't able to report them directly to the Skype team through my friend, unfortunately.

And here is a feature request for the Skype team, witch I also wasn't able to report to them directly:
Alerts and notifications from Skype should be made to be spoken by screen readers:
http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Alerts-and-notifications-from-Skype-should-be-made-to-be-spoken/m-p/3635155

Hope you can report them (at least the bugs).

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by jteh on 2014-10-24 09:44
We actually don't have any contacts at Skype. It seems the open bug tracker they used to have is now gone. Working with closed source projects is just so frustrating. :)

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by mohammed on 2014-10-24 12:41
Dug Lee, (the author of the jaws scripts for Skype), has some contacts I remember. will try to get hold of him via twitter.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by k_kolev1985 on 2014-10-30 12:46
And while we here discuss it, the version of Skype with the new interface seams to be officially released:
http://blogs.skype.com/2014/10/29/the-redesigned-skype-for-windows-desktop/
And unfortunately, the bugs reported by me in the community forums and linked in my previous comment here, are not fixed. So for the time being, stay away from Skype 6.22.81.104.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2014-10-31 07:54
In [90f4222]:

Fix automatic reading of new chat messages in Skype 6.22.

Unfortunately, this will break support for older versions of Skype.
Re #4218.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by k_kolev1985 on 2014-12-06 13:46
Jamie, Skype 7.0 has been officially released. The accessibility bugs with file transfers have been fixed - I've tested it personally. NVDA (latest "next" snapshot) still however can't read the chat messages automatically. I'm using Skype in the so called "Split Window View" (aka "Compact View").

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 13 by jteh on 2014-12-06 13:48
Assuming they haven't changed things again since 6.22, I have code which should fix this (comment:10), but it's not in next yet.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 14 by mohammed on 2014-12-06 14:19
I remember that this code isn't backward compatible, is that still the case? is there a chance on improving on that?

what's so annoying in the new interface is that you can't shift tab to get to your chat history if your focus is the edit area like before. a key that quickly moves the focus to the chat history would be very helpful.

I think f6 is no longer helpful too in that regard, anyone can confirm?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 15 by jteh (in reply to comment 14) on 2014-12-06 14:26
Replying to mohammed:

I remember that this code isn't backward compatible, is that still the case?

Yes.

is there a chance on improving on that?

It might be possible to do it, but it would be difficult and hard to maintain (and thus prone to regressions). The reality is that Skype is free and they recommend the latest version anyway.

what's so annoying in the new interface is that you can't shift tab to get to your chat history if your focus is the edit area like before. a key that quickly moves the focus to the chat history would be very helpful.

Yes, that's extremely annoying, and I think we'll unfortunately need to add a command as you suggest.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 21 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2014-12-22 06:53
In [dea0a6c]:

Merge branch 'skypeChanges' into next: major improvements for Skype, but requires Skype 7.

Incubates #4218, #3210, #3506, #3616, #4644, #4741.

Changes:
Added labels: incubating

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 22 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2015-01-27 03:15
In [f0e53a2]:

Major fixes and enhancements to support for Skype for Desktop, including support for Skype 7, reporting of notifications and message review commands.

Fixes #4218, #3616, #4741, #4644, #3210, #3506.

Changes:
Removed labels: incubating
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 23 by jteh on 2015-01-27 03:18
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2015.1

jcsteh added a commit that referenced this issue Nov 23, 2015
…ing support for Skype 7, reporting of notifications and message review commands.

Fixes #4218, #3616, #4741, #4644, #3210, #3506.
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
app/skype Skype for desktop or Skype for business (linc) bug
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants