Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Error loading NVDA Slave on NVDA Restart #4235

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 30, 2014 · 13 comments
Closed

Error loading NVDA Slave on NVDA Restart #4235

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 30, 2014 · 13 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by jhomme on 2014-06-30 13:47
On Vista, the last two updates of NVDA, when I restart, I get the folowing diaog.

nvda_slave.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point wcscat_s could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll.

OK

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2014-06-30 21:32
Has anything changed on your system recently; e.g. something uninstalled, system restore, updates, etc.? I can't think of anything we've changed lately that should cause this.

Also, does this happen when you restart NVDA with control+alt+n or only when you restart your system?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by nikosdemetriou on 2014-09-09 22:00
Hello.
One of my friends with windows vista is also having this problem with 2014.3.
When we try to run nvda with control+alt+n, or by clicking the desc top icon we get the error mentioned above.
However if we use the run command and we type nvda the program starts fine. So I assume something is wrong with the short cut key or the desk top icon.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2014-09-09 22:10
The shortcut key/desktop icon launches slightly differently so that the shortcut key will restart NVDA while it is already running.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2014-09-10 02:04
In [a741e72]:

In Windows Vista, a spurious "Entry Point Not Found" dialog is no longer displayed in several cases such as when starting NVDA from the Desktop shortcut or via the shortcut key.

Py2exe was bundling mpr.dll, which is a Windows dll that differs across different versions of Windows. ShellExecute was loading our copy of this dll instead of the appropriate dll for the system.
This has now been added to the list of system dlls that we explicitly exclude in setup.py.
Re #4235.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2014-09-10 02:04
In [c21f427]:

Merge branch 't4235' into next

Incubates #4235.

Changes:
Added labels: incubating

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2014-09-10 02:08
It'd be great if Windows Vista users running next could confirm that this is fixed in the 10 September next snapshot when it is available.

Technical: As to why we're seeing this now when we weren't before, I guess a Windows Update on our build machine must have updated mpr.dll and the new version of mpr.dll is incompatible with Windows Vista.
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2014.4

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by nikosdemetriou on 2014-09-10 05:14
Hello.
Thanks for fixing it.
Since the fix won't be available until 2014.4, how can I temporarily fix this for my friend?
Can we download the appropriate mpr.dll and replace it with the one that doesn't work?
Thanks
Nikos

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by jteh on 2014-09-10 05:37
Exit that copy of NVDA and simply delete mpr.dll from the NVDA program directory.

Actually, it just occurred to me that I need to make the installer remove this for updates.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by nikosdemetriou on 2014-09-10 05:44
Thanks a lot Jamie for your great help.
Nikos

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2014-09-10 10:37
In [1d1cc28]:

Remove mpr.dll when updating, as it will have been installed by an older version.

Re #4235.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2014-09-10 10:37
In [01af06d]:

Merge branch 't4235' into next

Incubates #4235.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 13 by jteh (in reply to comment 6) on 2014-09-10 10:39
Replying to jteh:

It'd be great if Windows Vista users running next could confirm that this is fixed in the 10 September next snapshot when it is available.

Actually, wait until the 11 September snapshot. The 10 September snapshot fixes the issue for new installs, but not for updates; the installer needs to remove the previously installed file in the latter case.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 14 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2014-10-08 00:35
In [67a0908]:

In Windows Vista, a spurious "Entry Point Not Found" dialog is no longer displayed in several cases such as when starting NVDA from the Desktop shortcut or via the shortcut key.

Py2exe was bundling mpr.dll, which is a Windows dll that differs across different versions of Windows. ShellExecute was loading our copy of this dll instead of the appropriate dll for the system.
This has now been added to the list of system dlls that we explicitly exclude in setup.py.
We also remove mpr.dll when updating, as it will have been installed by an older version.
Fixes #4235.

Changes:
Removed labels: incubating
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants