Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Occasional loss of focus (unknown) on web pages in Chrome/Chromium #4260

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 9, 2014 · 9 comments
Closed

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by domasofan on 2014-07-09 06:47
Hi all,

Just noticed some issues with NVDA and Chrome/Chromium in both daily builds.

1. braille seems to hang when you are going through the page. in firefox it does that successfully and follows speech but in chrome/chromium it seems to do that for a while but decides to stop. I can reproduce it all the time but it is inconsistent but its pretty obvious. this also seems to happen in stable versions as well.
  2. dialogs seem not to react in chrome. for example when you have a install dialog for a extension you can't give focus to it when hitting enter on it. this seems to be something i discovered a while now. both in stable chrome and nvda versions this can be found.
  3. i don't know what this is but there seems to be also an issue when loading pages. for example the google search. when you are on google and you enter something and hit enter then it seems the search results don't show up. though you can tab to the links of the search results. so it seems that nvda doesn't get the data or something.

chrome/chromium: 38.0.2085.0 (daily build)
NVDA: Next-10818 (daily build)

greetings,
simon

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh (in reply to comment description) on 2014-07-09 11:59
Thanks for reporting. For future reference, these are all pretty separate issues, so ideally, they should be filed as separate tickets as documented on the Issues page. For now, we'll discuss them here to figure out details.

Replying to domasofan:

1. braille seems to hang when you are going through the page. in firefox it does that successfully and follows speech but in chrome/chromium it seems to do that for a while but decides to stop.

Can you explain what you mean by hang? Does it display a previous line or does it go blank? Does scrolling still work?

1. dialogs seem not to react in chrome. for example when you have a install dialog for a extension you can't give focus to it when hitting enter on it.

Enter normally activates something that is already focused, but you seem to want enter to focus the dialog. Is the dialog actually focused? Is it perhaps an alert (which do get reported but don't get focused)? What makes you think this is an NVDA issue?

1. i don't know what this is but there seems to be also an issue when loading pages. for example the google search. when you are on google and you enter something and hit enter then it seems the search results don't show up.

If you have Google Instant turned on, the page doesn't reload when new search results appear; the content of the page just changes. This is the same in all browsers.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by domasofan (in reply to comment 1) on 2014-07-09 12:29
Hi,

Replying to jteh:

Thanks for reporting. For future reference, these are all pretty separate issues, so ideally, they should be filed as separate tickets as documented on the Issues page. For now, we'll discuss them here to figure out details.

agreed. i actually thought that after hitting enter on submit.

Replying to domasofan:

1. braille seems to hang when you are going through the page. in firefox it does that successfully and follows speech but in chrome/chromium it seems to do that for a while but decides to stop.

Can you explain what you mean by hang? Does it display a previous line or does it go blank? Does scrolling still work?

it seems to get stuck at a line it had displayed before and doesn't move anymore.
i guess we had that with firefox as well in the past.
it doesn't go blank.

1. dialogs seem not to react in chrome. for example when you have a install dialog for a extension you can't give focus to it when hitting enter on it.

Enter normally activates something that is already focused, but you seem to want enter to focus the dialog. Is the dialog actually focused? Is it perhaps an alert (which do get reported but don't get focused)? What makes you think this is an NVDA issue?

what it actually does is the following:

1. open the chrome web store with a extension you want to install. for example chromevox or something different.
  2. nvda is in browse mode. on the top of tthe page nvda says dialog. the braille display shows dlg.
  3. hit enter on that. normally as far as i know it should put the dialog into focus so you can interact with it.
    this seems not to work.
    some versions of chrome and nvda back it seems to have worked.
    i'm not sure if its a bug in nvda or chrome but i thought i might report that here and ask if this might be a issue with nvda.

edit: this works with jaws: it seems you need to do the following to install a chrome extension:

1. visit the chrome extension
  2. click on the free button to install. then the dialog should come up.
    though i wonder what the dialog thingy at the top does.
    currently i can't research because it seems the chrome store is not available right now.
    it doesn't work with nvda though. just rechecked at home where i have a full connection.
  1. i don't know what this is but there seems to be also an issue when loading pages. for example the google search. when you are on google and you enter something and hit enter then it seems the search results don't show up.

If you have Google Instant turned on, the page doesn't reload when new search results appear; the content of the page just changes. This is the same in all browsers.

sorry. i forgot to say i have turned google instant off.

greetings,
simon

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by mdcurran on 2015-01-26 06:26
Can you please provide a website where braille freezing occurs? If this does not happen anymore, please reply also.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by domasofan (in reply to comment 4) on 2015-02-10 15:33
Hi,

Here's my results:

Tested Versions:
Chromium version 42.0.2301.0
NVDA version next-11632,be18e2d

Everything is bleeding edge code.

Unfortunately it doesn't happen all the time nowadays.
but i can remember we had something like that in firefox a long time ago.
where the braille just kind of freeces but the speech was able to continue.

on the display you can see a format like that:
the window title, then the word document and then the word unknown or in german it writes unbekannt.

A workaround at the moment is to switch to another window and then back to the browser window.

sites where it can happen is for example the ebay site where a product is shown.

greetings,
simon

Replying to mdcurran:

Can you please provide a website where braille freezing occurs? If this does not happen anymore, please reply also.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2015-02-10 22:32
Okay. This is not specific to braille.
Changes:
Changed title from "chrome/chromium bugs with nvda while viewing web pages" to "Occasional loss of focus (unknown) on web pages in Chrome/Chromium"

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

@domasofan: Could you please provide a status update for this issue?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I think this is also related to #8389. I think there are some dlls which have to be registered but no idea which. Maybe we can get a list of accessibility API related dlls from Microsoft?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@domasofan are you still available for testing? Otherwise I suggest closing this issue because it covers multiple issues and for loosing Focus, freezing pages and so on are also other issues open. If @domasofan is not available anymore I think we should Close this and reopen it if he or someone else reports this issue again. Thanks.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I am closing this one for now. Please comment on it if you still have this problem and we can reopen the discussion. Thanks!

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants