Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

inability to remember the e-mail last viewed when user presses Alt + left arrow to go back to the Inbox #4271

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 12, 2014 · 8 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by blindbhavya on 2014-07-12 11:38
I am using Mozilla Firefox 30 and versions of other applications are given.
To reproduce perform the following:
Note : This issue occurs 90% of times but somehow 10% it works nicely. Also, this issue is not there with JAWS so shouldn't be with NVDA as well. Sorry again for comparison with JAWS but I really am liking NVDA and want all JAWS pros to come into NVDA.
1 Register or log into GMail and change your view into Basic HTML.
2 Navigate to and Open any conversation.
3 Press Alt + left arrow (back command) to go to your Inbox (or any other label/folder).
Result : You will most probably reach the start of the Inbox or maybe the edit field. I would like NVDA to remember the last e-mail viewed and directly jump to the cell of the e-mail (third column) so that the user can easily view the subject and some parts of the next or previous e-mail.
Again I say that this problem is not consistent and sometimes somehow NVDA remembers the position.
Someone once said that GMail changed very frequently so it was impossible for NVDA to achieve this, but then I ask how does JAWS remember always?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by Palacee_hun on 2014-07-12 15:04
Firefox may be in play here, as I use Firefox 8 (!), and do not experience this problem, NVDA correctly returns. I note here that in my experience much outdated Firefox versions seem to perform better with NVDA in some situations, that's why I don't update on my main PC.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by blindbhavya on 2014-07-12 15:57
Hi.
Firefox 8 is really very outdated.
Can NVDA in any way do something to get this correct in Firefox 30 and in any other web browser?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by mdcurran on 2014-12-09 01:52
We understand why this is occurring. But to fix it would take quite a bit of work and very likely have consequences for other websites. For now we're leaving this ticket open in case someone can come up with something that won't break everything else. But we're not pursuing it as a priority.

Technical:
Although its called Basic HTML view, it seems that the page is however extremely dynamic and does use javascript.
The problem is that when you go back to the inbox, the page loads with nothing in it, and then content such as the email list is slowly populated. When NVDA restores the last position, that email list does not exist yet.
It may be possible to fix by:

• while the document is busy:
    • don't restore the previous position
    • Don't do a sayAll
  • When the document is no longer busy (document load complete event):
    • If the user has not moved around at all:
    • restore the previous position
    • do sayAll

Note however there are other pages we have seen that take an extremely long time to stop being busy, or in some cases do not ever stop being busy.

An interesting side note about this page: Although we would not recommend it, if you disable javascript in your browser, The bug with this page goes away. No doubt there must be a javascript and a non-javascript version of the Basic HTML page.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

As the original author of this ticket, keeping in mind @michaelDCurran's #4271 (comment), I would be happy for this issue to be assigned a P4.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@mltony Dows your last pull request solve this issue? If yes, maybe we should reference this issue in it as well. Thanks.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@bhavyashah I guess you can still reproduce this issue. Right?

@mltony
Copy link
Contributor

mltony commented Jan 2, 2019

@Adriani90, I couldn't reproduce this issue either in Chrome or Firefox on my machine. Regardless of that, I doubt my browse mode PR would affect this issue - but I could be wrong. With my PR NVDA still accepts focus events from the browser, so if gmail wants to focus on the beginning of the page, NVDA would honor this request even with my PR.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I cannot reproduce this issue either with NVDA 2019.1.1. I am closing as works for me, given also that we didn't hear anything from Bhavya. I you are still having this problem, please comment on it and we can reopen the discussion. Thanks!

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants