Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

When using the NVDA Find command in a virtual document, focus gets lost the first time the command is invoked. #4295

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 15, 2014 · 10 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by dgoldfield on 2014-07-15 19:18
When I press NVDA-ctrl-F in a virtual document the first time after I start NVDA, focus is lost and I am not actually in the find dialog box.
If I press the alt-tab key, I can eventually locate the dialog box and enter text I wish to locate but NVDA does not locate the text.
After this initial failure, using the Find command works properly.
This problem does not occur in the 2014.2 build but I first noticed it in the "Next" branch.
Blocking #4373

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by briang1 on 2014-07-15 23:05
For me with the latest next snap in XP the problem is slightly different. In Firefox there seems to be no issues at all, but in IE8 you do the search fine, but the focus is not placed back on the browser. the only thing you get to hear is the string you searched for and any other text on that entry, but trying to move in the page will not work. IE focus is somewhere else. It seems you can switch away and back but then the focus is not on that string any more.

Can you try the very latest snap as the focus of the actual search field seems to be cured, just leaving this oddity.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by camlorn on 2014-07-15 23:42
I'm also seeing this, but the failure is consistent for periods of time--i.e. once it starts, it takes a good while to fix it self. In addition, it can happen any time. I've only seen it in Firefox, but this is the only place I've ever used the NVDA find dialog. I'm always on the latest snapshot and have seen it as recently as today.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by nvdakor on 2014-07-15 23:45
Hi,
It works on my system in both IE11 and latest Firefox (I have Windows 8.1). Is this OS
version specific?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by advck1123 (in reply to comment 3) on 2014-07-16 02:56
Replying to nvdakor:

Hi,

It works on my system in both IE11 and latest Firefox (I have Windows 8.1). Is this OS

version specific?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by leonarddr on 2014-07-16 10:50
I think this issue is related to #3831. This issue occurs in the next branch, not in the master branch.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2014-07-17 00:41
#3831 might cause the dialog to be reported when it isn't actually focused. However, it doesn't change the GUI code, which means there should be no change to whether the dialog actually gets focus. In other words, if it isn't getting focus now, it wouldn't have been getting focus before #3831 either. The only difference is that #3831 might cause it to be read even when it isn't focused.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by camlorn on 2014-07-18 03:02
Following up on this, I'm now seeing another odd behavior. the dialog getss focus, does the find, but doesn't quite return focus to Firefox sometimes. This is as of today and snapshot next-10826,439af82.
Something is definitely odd with NVDA find, but it seems to be a bit inconsistent as to what it actually is.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by dallasobrien on 2014-07-19 11:03
hi. i am also seeing the problem of the find dialog not getting the focus. it seems to show nvda as the tital of the screen, and alt tabbing find the find dialog, but it doesn't actually put focus into it. how do i know? because, if i press the space key, or enter key, after atempting to go to the find dialog, it activates a link, if that's what i was on before atempting to use the find command. so it seems that something is definately getting a little mixed up here somewhere.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by jteh (in reply to comment 6) on 2014-07-22 07:15
Replying to jteh:

#3831 might cause the dialog to be reported when it isn't actually focused. However, it doesn't change the GUI code, which means there should be no change to whether the dialog actually gets focus.

Actually, I'm wrong. It changes winUser.getforegroundWindow and gui.mainFrame.pre/postPopup depend on that. I think NVDA's GUI fires a foreground event even though it hasn't actually come to the foreground, which messes up our cache. Irritating.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2014-08-08 13:04
In [7b6b9d9]:

Revert "Fix broken focus when starting certain applications such as Microsoft Word and Excel."

This was causing focus problems for NVDA windows such as the browse mode Find dialog (#4295) and could cause similar problems in other cases. It also wasn't solving many cases of focus problems when starting applications anyway.
This reverts commit d715c51f52a7a233d1ad02123282b121ef37525d.
Re #4001, #3831. Fixes #4295.

Changes:
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant