Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Wordweb : while pressing up or down arrow to read next or previous meaning of the word typed NVDA incorrectly announces the current definition edit multiline read only the definition gaining focus #4315

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 19, 2014 · 16 comments
Labels
app-specific bug close/worksforme good first issue github features these at https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/contribute z goodForNewDev (archived)

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by blindbhavya on 2014-07-19 08:12
To understand and reproduce this issue kindly download and install Wordweb, which is a freeware.
When in the place where all the meanings of the currently typed word are displayed, and user presses up or down arrow to read the next or previous meaning, NVDA in definition, NVDA incorrectly announces current definition edit multiline read only and then the newly focused definition.
Steps to reproduce
Download, install and launch Wordweb.
Type any sensible English word and press Tab twice to get your focus in the place where meanings of the current word are displayed.
Ensure that the word you have typed has two or more definitions.
When tab is pressed twice and NVDA has finished reading the first definition (the definition should be of only one line), press the down arrow to read the next definition and hear the announcement.
I have described above what the result should be.
Ideally, NVDA should only read the newly focused definition.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2014-07-20 22:32
I'd argue this isn't incorrect, just annoying. The application has clearly chosen to put these in separate editable text fields. If they were in the same field, NVDA wouldn't announce the control again. I agree it isn't ideal, but unless the application author changes something, this would have to be special cased.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by blindbhavya on 2014-07-21 13:14
Hi.
Well JAWS doesn't have this issue, Freedom Scientific must have special cased this.
I don't know how to exactly approach the Wordweb developers. Would be excellent if you special cased this. Wordweb is the most popular accessible dictionary for Windows anyways.
Please make the necessary changes.
P.S. If this is incorrect then this definitely is very very annoying!!!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by nvdakor on 2014-07-21 13:22
Hi,
If I understand it right, I think it's better to solve this (and other related problems) via dedicated app module for Wordweb. If there are apps besides Wordweb which exhibits this problem and if it is found that a solution would allow these apps to work, then it would be good to incorporate this into NVDA itself. However, if it is specific to Wordweb, then it might be better off writing an app module for it (my opinion; I'd like to personally ask that someone who's new to app module development tackle this).
Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by blindbhavya on 2014-07-21 16:05
Hi.
If writing an app modulespecific to Wordweb solution is accepted by Mr. James paze then excellent.
But if not, should I write to the NVDA Addons if anyone would be willing to write an addon to improve experience in Wordweb?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2014-07-21 23:19
Sure, we'll accept an app module if it just fixes these issues.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by blindbhavya on 2014-07-22 14:02
Hi.
If someone volunteers to do this task by commenting on this ticket wonderful.
But just in case, should I write to the NVDA Devel list and ask if anyone could rsolve these Wordweb issues?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by jteh on 2014-07-22 21:21
No; that would be redundant. Anyone who is looking for code to contribute will also look here. Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by nvdakor on 2014-07-23 04:58
Hi,
Preliminary investigation shows the following:

• We're dealing with yet another Delphi-based application, as definition list has window class name of TDefEdit.
  • When navigating from one definition to the next, the definition list fires focus event on the previous item before moving to the next item.
    So our priority is to do something about definition lists to make sure NVDA user heres the definition only once.
    Also, just sent an email to developers seeking collaboration with NvDA devs on making it usable by NVDA users. Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by nvdakor on 2014-07-23 05:15
Hi,
There is also a Windows Store app version of this app which is reasonably accessible.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by blindbhavya on 2014-07-23 11:19
Thanks, especially to Joseph Sir who contacted Wordweb about these issues!!!!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by blindbhavya on 2014-08-09 09:04
Hi.
Mr. Joseph Lee had written about this issue to Wordweb.
However, we have not received any response.
Please recommend what should be further done.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

cc @bhavyashah , do you still consider this request important?

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@LeonarddeR As critical I am of my 12-year-old self, I do think this issue is still quite important. Let me know if any further information pertaining to this issue is required to accordingly prioritize thicket.
P.S. Still chuckling at myself for using phrases like "Joseph Sir" in #4315 (comment) and "Mr. James Teh" in #4315 (comment). :D

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@bhavyashah could you please test with the last Version of Wordweb and Report last changes? Is the issue still occuring?

@seanbudd seanbudd added the good first issue github features these at https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/contribute label Apr 30, 2021
@bhavyashah
Copy link

@Adriani90 @LeonarddeR Thanks for the follow-ups! I cannot reproduce this issue with WordWeb Pro version 10.2.0.0 and NVDA 2023.2. Feel free to close this ticket.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Closing as works for me.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
app-specific bug close/worksforme good first issue github features these at https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/contribute z goodForNewDev (archived)
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants