Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Toggling Announcement of Controls #4331

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 27, 2014 · 7 comments
Open

Toggling Announcement of Controls #4331

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 27, 2014 · 7 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by ateu on 2014-07-27 12:05
Received from the Portuguese list.

As well as it's already possible to disable announcing links, headings, frames, lists, landmarks, tables and other controls, it would be a good idea if there is an option allowing to disable announcing buttons, check boxes, combo boxes, radio buttons and other controls. This would be nicer for advanced users, or when navigating in known pages, allowing for a quicker navigation.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2014-07-28 06:11
The labels for these controls are separate from the controls themselves, so you'd still hear the labels. Is this what you're intending (just as for links)? Also, if there was a check box or radio button on a line by itself, you'd just hear blank.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2014-07-28 06:12
Also, for controls other than buttons, note that this would probably make it impossible to know where you could activate the control, since the label is separate from the control. That is not the case for links or buttons.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by ateu on 2014-07-28 09:47
Hi,

I don't think it's possible to know the control, since this will be used in known websites.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by ateu on 2014-07-28 09:52
I think I haven't been clear.

My suggestion is: We should be able to toggle announcing the control, not the label, as if I disable announcing the label, I will not know what I am activating.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

I tend to agree with @jcsteh's #4331 (comment). While flexibility that adds utility is acceptible, I find the cons of this feature request outweighing the pros. Edit fields, radio buttons and combo boxes are essentially form fields rather than general navigational elements, and their presence is vital rather than being complimentary to the webpage. They hardly cause any unneeded verbosity too. Thus, I would like to kindly request morphing this ticket to cover customizability of only button reporting. Thoughts?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

if #4877 is solved and speech refactoring has been implemented, then there could be tones like in the add-on audiothemes.

@surfer0627
Copy link
Contributor

Why we need feature "disable reporting buttons"?
Here is an Example.
In Coursera video playing area, there are several buttons. By Pressing it, user could move the track to the specific time. But, if we want to pay attention to read subtitles. In this case, user hopes to uncheck the feature of reporting buttons.
Steps to reproduce:

1. Open this link.
  2. Press b to move to play (activate).
  3. Press b to video subtitles (activate).
  4. Press downArrow to read subtitles.
  5. NVDA reports

(button) In order to teach much of these courses,
(button) I'm absolutely thrilled to introduce Laurence Moroney.
(button) Thank you Andrew.
(button) He is a developer advocate at Google
(button) and has been working on Google AI and TensorFlow.
(button) Laurence has also written
(button) over 30 programming books including four sci-fi novels.
(button) Exactly, I've been busy.
(button) I really enjoy writing,

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants