Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Double Announcing of Comma in Decimal Numbers When Punctuation Level is Set to All #4341

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 29, 2014 · 6 comments
Labels
bug component/i18n existing localisations or internationalisation
Milestone

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by ateu on 2014-07-29 13:31
Hi,

This is a really complicated problem, as I don't know whether it's caused by NVDA or by the synthesizer.
When the punctuation level is set to all, the comma used in decimal numbers is spoken twice, but this just occurs if NVDA is used in a language other than English.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Set the punctuation level to all;
  2. Using Espeak (bundled version or sapi5), open any text editor and type a decimal number, such as 2,5.
  3. Change the Espeak'S language to Portuguese
  4. Read this number using the read current line command or arrowing down and then arrowing up.

Expected result: NVDA should speak 2 comma 5.
Current result: NVDA says 2 comma vírgula (means comma in Portuguese) 5.

Note 1:
This also occurs with other synthesizers, such as Microsoft Speech Engine (Mike, Mary and Sam), Pico TTS, Dec Talk, and other.
Note 2: When Espeak is used with other screen reader, (as Sapi5), this doesn't occurs.
Note 3: This just occurs in decimal numbers. If I write 2 or any number followed by comma and with no number after it, this doesn't occurs.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by ateu on 2014-07-29 15:17
A small correction: not with espeak, but wih Pico TTS, Dectalk and Microsoft Speech Engine, the problem occurs, but in this case, NVDA says comma twice. But if Pico TTS is used in other language, NVDA says comma and comma translated into the language currently used.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2014-07-30 00:34
This occurs because NVDA sends the comma to the synthesiser so it will get the correct inflection, but it also speaks the comma itself. Normally, the synthesiser doesn't speak commas itself. However, the decimal point is an exception.

The Portuguese symbols for NVDA define the decimal point as a full stop. If this is incorrect and it's actually a comma, this needs to be changed. So, this line:

decimal point   (?<=\d)\.(?=\d)

should be:

decimal point   (?<=\d),(?=\d)

and this line:

decimal point       none    always

needs to specify the correct Portuguese word(s) for the decimal point in the second field.
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to next

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by ateu on 2014-07-30 01:37
Hi Jamie,

I just can't understand this:

and this line:
decimal point none always
needs to specify the correct Portuguese word(s) for the decimal point in the second field.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2014-07-30 02:00
If you look at this line:

decimal point       none    always

you'll see that there are several fields separated by tabs. The second field is currently blank, hence the double tab. So, it needs to be something like this:

decimal point   xxx none    always

where xxx is the Portuguese way of saying that this is a decimal point.

Hope this is clearer.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by bdorer on 2015-06-12 21:43
SVN-Rev#22082 should fix this.

according to jamie's comment this line should be right assumingvírgula means Coma as you said :
decimal point vírgula none always

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by bdorer on 2015-10-06 16:27
Closing as fixed as SVN-Rev#22082 has been included in NVDA 2015.3. @Ateu please reopen if not.
Changes:
Milestone changed from next to 2015.3
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added bug component/i18n existing localisations or internationalisation labels Nov 10, 2015
@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added this to the 2015.3 milestone Nov 10, 2015
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
bug component/i18n existing localisations or internationalisation
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant