Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Virtual buffer, ability to ignore refresh content in a page. #4342

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 29, 2014 · 4 comments
Closed

Virtual buffer, ability to ignore refresh content in a page. #4342

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 29, 2014 · 4 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by aleskis on 2014-07-29 16:55
On certain webpage like in the sharepoint CRM, the content is permanently actualised. In the case of progress bar or quick carouzel, the reading by the synthetizer it permanently interrupted by the refreshing informations.
More annoying, the NVDA focus slide in the content page, causing high difficulties for reading line by line.
You can see an example here:
http://lechal.com/accessibility.html

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2014-07-30 01:55
The updating content is marked as a live region, which is why it is continually announced. I'd argue this is fairly inappropriate authoring.

If we didn't update browse mode, the content you read with NVDA wouldn't reflect the content on the page, which means you wouldn't be able to activate links in that content, etc. We can't simply stop the page from updating, and if we did, you wouldn't be able to access half the content it is offering.
Changes:
Added labels: wontfix
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by aleskis (in reply to comment 1) on 2014-07-30 07:46
Some people considers that liveregion could be a kind of pollution. Like we can ignore some layout information, you should offer a checkbox. In any case, a permanent refresh also prevent to access the information, because it disturbing the focus. Try the link pasted in the original post.
To indicate the state of the live region, NVDA could display a message at the place of the live region.

Please, try this link and give me a strategy to navigate quietly:
http://test.cita.illinois.edu/aria/live/live1.php
Replying to jteh:

The updating content is marked as a live region, which is why it is continually announced. I'd argue this is fairly inappropriate authoring.

If we didn't update browse mode, the content you read with NVDA wouldn't reflect the content on the page, which means you wouldn't be able to activate links in that content, etc. We can't simply stop the page from updating, and if we did, you wouldn't be able to access half the content it is offering.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2014-07-30 07:57
There is a limit to how far we will go to compensate for poor authoring. If a live region is causing too much unwanted chatter, it is almost certainly a poor use of live regions. That said, it should probably be possible to disable this by disabling reporting of dynamic content.

There is simply no reliable way to suppress updates like this. The fact that the original information disappears might prevent you from navigating, but if we don't refresh, then the information you're navigating is probably already invalid and you certainly won't be able to activate anything inside it.

I'm happy to consider this a request to disable live regions using the setting for reporting of dynamic content, but I don't think disabling of browse mode updates is something we can consider.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by briang1 on 2014-07-30 12:32
Increasingly this sort of problem seems to be being created, and at the moment turning off the mentioned switch seems not to be of much use.
I recently got a new router and it keeps refreshin things and shoves the focus to some point which I'm sure is logical for the sighted, but not for us.

Maybe they are just utilising things for jobs they were never intended for, but we do need to live in the worrld as it is, not as it really should be or was originally intended to be.
I think all these page authors need a little sign on their computers,
If its not broken, dont fix it!

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant