Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

combining three modifier key selection check boxes into one combo box #4357

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 2, 2014 · 8 comments · Fixed by #7491
Closed

combining three modifier key selection check boxes into one combo box #4357

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 2, 2014 · 8 comments · Fixed by #7491

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by blindbhavya on 2014-08-02 17:13
In the Keyboard Settings dialog box, there are three check boxes for the use of the Caps lock key, Num pad Insert and extended Insert key as the NVDA modifier key.
Is it possible that instead of those three check boxes there is one combo box with three options, Caps lock, Num Pad insert, extended insert?
Also somehow, it should be possible that within the combo box user can chosse more than one of the given keys as modifiers.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by k_kolev1985 on 2014-08-02 17:42
But those options are made independent from one another, because each one of them can be enabled/disabled individually. That is why they are made with check-boxes. If a single combo-box was used, you couldn't select to enable 2 or 3 of the options - you could select only one at a time.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by zahari_bgr on 2014-08-02 18:07
Hi,
I also think that checkboxes are the best option here.
If we replace them with a combobox, it should have 6 options for a complete set of choices, which is more than the 3 checkboxes we have now.
And what about if one day we decide that we want to use Scroll Lock as a NVDA modifier - the count of the options will grow twice.
If we use multiple select listbox - it will be unnecessary complicated to select the desired options.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by blindbhavya on 2014-08-02 18:11
Hi.
I thought that a control could exist that is in the form of a combo box containing check boxes.
For e.g. press Tab and your focus is on the combo box.
Press up and down arrow and press Spacebar on whichever modifier key you want to be used.
I seriously thought that such a control existed but probably I was wrong.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by k_kolev1985 on 2014-08-02 18:57
Actually, I've seen such a control in the settings of the SpeedCommander file manager. It was a drop-down combo-box witch when opened, displays a list of check-boxes and each check-box could be toggled individually. Unfortunately however, that control was partially inaccessible, because the screen readers (JAWS and NVDA) reported the list of check-boxes in the opened combo-box only as list items, and not as checkable list items (check-boxes). Yes, you could with the spacebar check and uncheck each item, but the screen readers did not report anything about the actions taken and the results from those actions. Even if such a control could be created in Python WX (witch is used for the GUI of NVDA if I'm not wrong), I'm not sure that it could be made 100 percent accessible. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by blindbhavya on 2014-08-03 06:23
Hi.
If such a control as described by k_kolev1985 exists and can be made completely accessible, then this could be possibly used in some other places as well. If Mr. James Teh agrees with this, I will give the examples of such situations where this control could be used.
Also, k_kolev1985 , if this control turns out be resolvable then please file a ticket for it, and then write the ticket number here as a comment.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by blindbhavya on 2014-08-03 11:11
Hey.
You just made changes, no comment.
Please comment. I am eager to know your views about the existence and accessibility of such a control.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@jcsteh (Mr. James Teh again, please comment. :D) Unless you, @LeonarddeR, @feerrenrut and others believe that an accessible dropdown with checkable items can be implemented with WX Python, I am happy for this ticket to be closed.

@derekriemer
Copy link
Collaborator

Ping to #7491

@derekriemer derekriemer self-assigned this Jan 25, 2018
@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added this to the 2018.4 milestone Aug 14, 2018
feerrenrut pushed a commit that referenced this issue Aug 14, 2018
Implements an accPropServer for NVDA to be able to use checkableLists. accPropServer is a base class users can inherit from to implement accpropServers on wx widgets. 

This commit introduces
- an accessible check list box, so that each item is a checkbox. This list box only supports one column
- CheckableAutoWidthColumnListCtrl, which is a multi column supporting list control with accessible check boxes. From an accessibility perspective, this control behaves similar to the list control in Windows disk cleanup (cleanmgr).
- an abstract AccPropServer we can make other servers from. This helps with fixing accessibility, but wraps the callback you provide with exception handling code (Since comtypes seems to squelch errors).

closes #7325
closes #4357
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

Successfully merging a pull request may close this issue.

3 participants