Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Character string 2A sets Espeak volume to 0 and does strange things to pitch and intonation with NVDA #437

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 1, 2010 · 7 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by fastfinge on 2009-10-07 01:10
When reading a document in NVDA, coming accross the string "2A" will cause the Espeak volume to be set to 0, and strange things to happen to pitch and intonation. This bug involves oddball characters; I am not sure they will show up in HTML. I have attached a txt file demonstrating the bug.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment espeak bug.txt added by fastfinge on 2009-10-07 01:12
Description:
I wasn't sure if the characters required to demonstrate this bug would be filtered out in the HTML or not. This text file definitively demonstrates the problem.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by fastfinge on 2009-10-07 01:15
This seems not to happen in firefox. But the bug occurs every time I use wordpad.
Changes:
Changed title from "Character string �2A sets Espeak volume to 0 and does strange things to pitch and intonation with NVDA" to "Character string 2A sets Espeak volume to 0 and does strange things to pitch and intonation with NVDA"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2009-10-07 02:06
Ouch. It seems \01 is used by eSpeak for embedded commands. I will commit a fix shortly.
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2009.1

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2009-10-07 02:29
Fixed in r3310. Thanks for reporting.
Changes:
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by pvagner on 2009-10-07 06:25
Are you sure this is NVDA's bug? I have reproducet this with command-line version also.

I think eSpeak should only care about control characters when ssml or whatever markup is chosen.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by pvagner on 2009-10-07 06:39
One more thing.
While opening an emails including this string in thunderbird NVDA generates an error.
Here's the output:
ERROR - XMLFormatting.XMLTextParser.parse (08:25:32):
XML: When reading a document in NVDA, coming accross the string "�2A" will

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "XMLFormatting.pyo", line 41, in parse
ExpatError: not well-formed (invalid token): line 1, column 565

And one more...
While opening log viewer with this string inside NVDA gives the following:
ERROR - unhandled exception (08:27:04):
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "gui__init__.pyo", line 229, in onViewLogCommand
File "gui\logViewer.pyo", line 82, in activate
File "gui\logViewer.pyo", line 40, in init
File "gui\logViewer.pyo", line 49, in refresh
File "codecs.pyo", line 666, in read
File "codecs.pyo", line 472, in read
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode bytes in position 76420-76422: invalid data

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2009-10-07 07:00
Oh, it's certainly an issue in eSpeak. The question is whether it was intentional or not. In any case, we need to work around it for now to prevent annoyance to our users.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant