Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Under certain circumstances, NVDA can't find the "Notes for translators" window in Poedit #4371

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 8, 2014 · 13 comments · Fixed by #15313

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by k_kolev1985 on 2014-08-08 10:41
I was doing some translations with Poedit today and I wanted to read the translators note for the current string. I pressed Control+Shift+A, but NVDA reported that it can't find the "Notes for translators" window. After some tests, I've found out that if the notification bar of Poedit is visible on the screen, NVDA couldn't find the "Notes for translators" window. If the notification bar of Poedit is not visible, NVDA will find and read the translators notes. The notification bar in Poedit is located above the list of translation strings and below the buttons toolbar. The notification bar doesn't appear always - only when there is an alert from Poedit (e.g. when the translation's project name isn't set). Some of the .po files for some NVDA add-ons have this problem and the issue can be reproduced with them (specially some .po files for description of add-ons for the site).

Steps to reproduce it:

1. Open a .po file in Poedit, witch has some problems (e.g. with no name for the project in the translation).
  2. Press Control+Shift+A.

Actual results:
If the notification bar of Poedit is shown, NVDA reports that it can't find the "Notes for translators" window, even though it is visible on the screen.

Expected results:
NVDA should be able to find and read the "Notes for translators" window, no matter if the notification bar is shown or not.

Test environment:

• Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro N, 64-bit, in bulgarian.
  • Poedit version: 1.6.7, in english.
  • NVDA versions: next-10966,a238c81 installed; 2014.2 portable.
@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

@k-kolev1985: Do you still have this issue with Poedit 1.x?

@k-kolev1985
Copy link

@LeonarddeR Yes, I can still reproduce the issue with POEdit v1.6.11. NVDA was running with all add-ons disabled at the time.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

bhavyashah commented Jul 21, 2017 via email

@k-kolev1985
Copy link

k-kolev1985 commented Jul 21, 2017

@bhavyashah Yes, the issue is reproducible even with the latest stable version (v2.0.2) of POEdit. But as all NVDA translators know, that latest version of POEdit is even less accessible than v1.6.

@vslavik
Copy link

vslavik commented Jul 22, 2017

But as all NVDA translators know, that latest version of POEdit is even less accessible than v1.6.

Poedit developer here. As a matter of fact, a lot of work went into improving accessibility in v2, particularly in the underlying wx library. It may be that "all NVDA translators know" that Poedit is utter crap, but not a single one of them bothered to file a bug report, so maybe the situation is not as dire as that.

Or maybe it is, but in the case telling the developer is the necessary precondition to making it right. If you encounter an a11y bug in Poedit, please file a bug. If there's some tweak that would make your life as NVDA developer easier, please file a bug. I can't promise to fix everything, there are practical limits imposed by wx for example, but I'm happy to do as much as I reasonably can to make NVDA's job easier.

(P.S. Obligatory corrective remark, name's "Poedit" (as in normal English), not "POEdit" or "PoEdit" or any other permutation of casing.)

@zstanecic
Copy link
Contributor

zstanecic commented Jul 22, 2017 via email

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

I belief some people are making wrong assumptions here. The fact that most of the utility functions (e.g. to report the comments and translator window) don't work in Poedit 2, isn't the fault of the Poedit developers. It is just because the switch to the new GUI made Poedit 2 incompatible with the current appModule.

@k-kolev1985
Copy link

@vslavik
Hi Václav.

Thanks for answering.

I just yesterday realized that I could easily file a bug report to "Poedit" about accessibility (or anything else related to it for that matter), because that is when I saw that "Poedit" has an account on GitHub. Now that I know, I'll certainly file my bug reports there.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@k-kolev1985 Could you please provide a status update on this issue? Also, if this still stands, please provide the link to the corresponding PoEdit ticket that you have filed so that others can track any progress made on this problem as well.

@k-kolev1985
Copy link

@bhavyashah Yes, I can still reproduce the issue with Poedit v1.6.11. I haven't tried it with the latest stable version of Poedit, because for me v1.6 is more comfortable to use as a translator. I may update and see if something has changed in Poedit recently.

And no - for now I haven't filed an issue in the GitHub page of Poedit, mainly because it is not clear to me who is responsible for this regression - NVDA or Poedit.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@k-kolev1985 did you fill a bug for Poedit on Github? As @LeonarddeR pointed out, the app module is probably not compatible with Poedit anymore. So I guess there should be some corrections from NVDA's side as well. In any case it is better if developers of NVDA and Poedit comunicate with eachother. This is the best way to finde which part is responsible for improving it.
cc: @Robert-J-H

@k-kolev1985
Copy link

@Adriani90 Not exactly. I've filed a bug for Poedit on GitHub, but it was about TAB navigation, which includes the fields for comments and notes. Now the only way to read notes for translators in Poedit 2 is to use NVDA's object navigation to get to the object which is the text for the notes.

I don't have enough technical knowledge to explain to the developer of Poedit the bug about not being able to read the notes for translators with the provided by NVDA command Control+Shift+A. I don't mind filing the bug, if someone provides me the necessary technical knowledge/information for the issue.

@Robert-J-H
Copy link
Contributor

Most things can be updated through some tweaks to the app-module of NVDA.
I think there isn't much sense in filing a bug for Poedit itself except:

1. NVDA can't give sound feedback for e.g. fuzzy or untranslated entries (which was based on different colours). Workaround is to sort the entries accordingly or to use the modifier-enhanced shortcuts.
  2. Dynamically changing content, i.e. windows that appear and disappear.
  3. Difference between free and pro version, perhaps different layouts.
  4. optional) missing language tags compare to e.g. IA2 Api)
    Also, there's the difficulty of having a dozen different Poedit versions that had all to be tested free and pro variant)
    Therefore rather a question of testing and having enough resources than of programming.

seanbudd pushed a commit that referenced this issue Oct 31, 2023
Fixes #7303
Fixes #4371

Summary of the issue:
NVDA has specific functionality for Poedit, but this is only supported in version 1.

Description of user facing changes
Add support for Poedit 3.4 while dropping support for Poedit 1. Compared to the previous Poedit 1 support, support has been added to report the old source text and any translation warning. There is also an audio indication when the needs work checkbox is enabled (fuzzy messages).

Description of development approach
Created a revamped module for Poedit 3.
@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added this to the 2024.1 milestone Oct 31, 2023
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

Successfully merging a pull request may close this issue.

9 participants