Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA freezes when moving to next paragraph in Microsoft Word 2007 #4375

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 9, 2014 · 5 comments
Closed

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by mk360 on 2014-08-09 21:51
When I try to read by paragraph in NVDA I have many problems because it takes too many time to read the next paragraph.
I'm using the next branch, and about the first change of the read by paragraph command (the repeat problem) Originally I had no problems with the new changes, NVDA worked fine reading by paragraph without repeating, but on a merge of the two branches the problem appeared and NVDA takes some time to read the next paragraph, sometimes about 5 seconds and sometimes I need to open the start menu or press alt to wait for a response.
My impression is that NVDA has problems with large documents (about 200 pages) and it happens only if I read with control down arrow, control up arrow works correctly.

I'm using windows 7 32 bits in a Phenom II x3 at 2.60 GHZ with 4 gb of ram, the program is word 2007.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by mdcurran on 2014-08-27 01:17
I take it this can most definitely be reproduced in 2014.3rc1? rc2 has not been officially released just yet.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by mk360 on 2014-08-27 01:28
I can reproduce it in next, RC1 and RC2 (I downloaded RC2 as an update)

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by mdcurran on 2014-08-27 01:38
I can reproduce this on an extremely large document as well. Going forward, but not going backward.
Technical:
Our implementation of move in certain situations asks for the document's character count. This takes over 10 seconds for large documents.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by mdcurran on 2014-08-27 01:53
We can either:

1. back out Microsoft Word: NVDA speaks Every Paragraph Twice When Reading By Paragraph. #3290;
  2. Change the move call in nextParagraph script to use MS Word's own range.move wdParagraph, because as it is a script and very simple, we don't need the extra checks that our move provides; or
  3. Instead do the info.updateCaret() trick to normalize the range so its not sitting on the bullet/number. But this may mean that it could be asymmetrical with previousParagraph script.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by Michael Curran <mick@... on 2014-08-27 02:04
In [05d491e]:

MS Word document next and previous paragraph scripts: use MS Word's own range.move wdParagraph rather than our move method as our one may call document.characters.count which can take more than 10 seconds on large documents. Fixes #4375

Changes:
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants