Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

in MS Word, NVDA does not say context menu before the item in the context menu gaining focus #4394

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 15, 2014 · 11 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by blindbhavya on 2014-08-15 09:23
Steps to reproduce
Launch Microsoft Office Word (2007 here).
Type anything (optional).
Press the applications key.
Actual Result = NVDA will announce the first item of the context menu.
Expected Result = NVDA should say context menu and then the first item.
I have found this bug with MS Word so will choose Microsoft Office Support here, but somehow I feel that this should be applicable with other applications as well.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by briang1 on 2014-08-15 11:54
I suspect this is down to the application, as previous versions of Word used to say something like
text menu pop up menu
when it was pressed.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

LeonarddeR commented Nov 8, 2017

cc @bhavyashah @Brian1Gaff, is this also a problem in newer versions of Word? If not, this can be closed as a won't fix, since Word 2017 is end of life.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Nov 8, 2017

Yes, this occurs in Word 2016 as well. Interestingly though, I get different results from the first time I press the context menu than the second.

1. Type anything in Word 2016
  2. Press the applications key. Notice NVDA says, "Menu".
  3. Type some more text.
  4. Press the applications key. Notice that the first menu item is announced.

CC @michaelDCurran

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Nov 8, 2017

This could also possibly be related to #4231. @feerrenrut, are the items automatically highlighted when performing the right click action or pressing the context menu?

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

When using Word 2013, the first item in the context menu is highlighted automatically. Often this is normally the 'cut' action, and when no text is selected it is a disabled option. Even when it is disabled it is visually highlighted.

@ehollig ehollig changed the title in MS Word 2007, NVDA does not say context menu before the item in the context menu gaining focus in MS Word, NVDA does not say context menu before the item in the context menu gaining focus Aug 16, 2018
@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 16, 2018

When I perform the steps above in #4394 (comment) in Word 2016, each time NVDA announces "menu". I would be curious to hear how this reacts with Word 2013 and 2010. CC @feerrenrut @bhavyashah

@bhavyashah
Copy link

bhavyashah commented Aug 16, 2018 via email

@ruifontes
Copy link
Contributor

Hello!

In Word 2013, normally, after pressing Applications key, NVDA says Menu and the first option is selected.

Some times, the name of the first option is read...

Tested with Word 2013 and last NVDA Alpha.

@angeloabrantes
Copy link

angeloabrantes commented Aug 16, 2018 via email

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I don't understand why this should be a big issue. See for example MS Outlook, where NVDA reports "Group" instead of "context menu". And there are also lots of applications in which NVDA reports it differently. Every developer of an application can design the context menu in a different way. So a context menu can easily be called womething else but not "context menu". In my opinion, if this is not an issue impacting user experience significantly, let's Close it and rather concentrate on other issues with bigger Impacts. If someone reports it again, we can reopen it. But in the last years I didn't hear about any other complaints regarding this behavior. @ehollig what do you think?

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Jan 20, 2019

I agree with @Adriani90. Closing for now

@ehollig ehollig closed this as completed Jan 20, 2019
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

9 participants