Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

HTML lang tag is not respected in aria-live regions. #4396

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 15, 2014 · 7 comments
Open

HTML lang tag is not respected in aria-live regions. #4396

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 15, 2014 · 7 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by mquinn on 2014-08-15 13:50
When the content of an HTML element with an aria-live attribute set to either polite or assertive changes, the content is not read using the correct pronunciation specified in the element's lang tag. However, subsequently tabbing to that element produces the correct pronunciation.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment index.html added by mquinn on 2014-08-15 13:51
Description:
An example that allows the user to click a button,changing the content of an aria-live region with a lang attribute of 'es'. The demo also allows the user to tab to the region to demonstrate correct pronunciation.

@itsmequinn
Copy link

Just adding a quick update that it appears that the pronunciation of aria-labels also does not respect the lang tag used for the element or page.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 19, 2018

This is probably due to NVDA not respecting the lang tag in browse mode, but does in focus mode. Thoughts? CC @LeonarddeR @michaelDCurran

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

cc: @jcsteh, @derekriemer do you have any suggestions regarding this one?

@kiahn-johnston
Copy link

I've encountered this problem also and it happens on Mac with VoiceOver too.
Any combination of lang="fr" inside, outside or on the same element as aria-live="assertive" does not work. Am I missing something in the aria spec?

@brennanyoung
Copy link

There's precious little documentation about how the lang attribute is supposed to work with live regions. I assume that the live region itself should get the attribute.

Naturally, if the page is in a single language, it ought to be enough to specify it on the html root, or perhaps the body and if the screen reader does not respect this (regardless of whether it has browse/focus mode), it is certainly a bug.

But what if the live region contains elements with text in multiple languages? Something like a chat log? This is not unthinkable - At work I often have chats where even though the main chat may be in English, certain individuals might routinely post in Danish, Norwegian or Swedish - which I and my colleagues can read and understand just fine. In such a case, the incoming message would need language metadata, and this would have to be inserted into a lang attribute for each new message in the log.

Somehow I doubt this is well-explored territory for US-based tech firms.

@carmacleod
Copy link

In case it's helpful, note that ARIA 1.2 (which will move to "Candidate Recommendation" status any day now) now specifies that aria-label is a "translatable" attribute. See https://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria-1.2/#translatable-states-and-properties

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

7 participants