Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA concatenates the first 2 strings when reading the status bar in MS Office 2013 #4430

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 29, 2014 · 12 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by k_kolev1985 on 2014-08-29 08:24
When reading the status bar of MS Word 2013 with NVDA, the first string and the next one are combined into one, with no space between them. The first string is "Status bar" and the next in my case is "Page number". The 2 strings are joined like so: "Status barPage Number". I wouldn't had noticed it, but our main bulgarian speech synthesizer is very sensitive about such things and reads that concatenation strangely and so that is why I've investigated the case. At first, I thought that the fault is somehow in NVDA, because I thought that the string "Status bar" comes from it. But I've switched the NVDA language to english and the string "Status bar" was still read by NVDA in bulgarian. And since my distribution of MS Office is in bulgarian, I guess that the string "Status bar" comes from it and NVDA is only reading it. If I focus the status bar with F6 from the document, there is no such concatenation - NVDA reads something of the sort: "Status bar  status bar" and then the string about the page number, but with no concatenation between any of the strings.

The issue can be reproduced in other MS Office 2013 products, like Excel and PowerPoint.

Steps to reproduce it:

1. Open an MS Office 2013 product, such as MS Word.
  2. Execute the NVDA command to read the status bar and listen carefully to the beginning of the spoken message for the status bar.
  3. Press F6 to move to the status bar and listen carefully to the spoken message for the status bar.

Actual results:
After step #2, NVDA will concatenate the first 2 strings and will read something like "Status barPage number". After step #3, NVDA will read "Status bar Status bar" and the next string for the focused control in the status bar, but will not concatenate any of the spoken strings.

Expected results:
In step #2, NVDA should not concatenate the first 2 strings ("Status bar" and the next one).

Test environment:

• Operating system: Windows 8.1 Pro N, 64-bit.
  • NVDA version: next-11059,49e58c7; 2014.2.
  • MS Office version: v2013.
@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2014-08-29 09:38
Confirmed.

Technical: api.getStatusBarText adds the status bar's name (obj.name) to the rest of the status bar text without separating it with a space.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by driemer.riemer@... (in reply to comment description) on 2014-08-30 00:03
okay.
Replying to k_kolev1985:

When reading the status bar of MS Word 2013 with NVDA, the first string and the next one are combined into one, with no space between them. The first string is "Status bar" and the next in my case is "Page number". The 2 strings are joined like so: "Status barPage Number". I wouldn't had noticed it, but our main bulgarian speech synthesizer is very sensitive about such things and reads that concatenation strangely and so that is why I've investigated the case. At first, I thought that the fault is somehow in NVDA, because I thought that the string "Status bar" comes from it. But I've switched the NVDA language to english and the string "Status bar" was still read by NVDA in bulgarian. And since my distribution of MS Office is in bulgarian, I guess that the string "Status bar" comes from it and NVDA is only reading it. If I focus the status bar with F6 from the document, there is no such concatenation - NVDA reads something of the sort: "Status bar  status bar" and then the string about the page number, but with no concatenation between any of the strings.

The issue can be reproduced in other MS Office 2013 products, like Excel and PowerPoint.

Steps to reproduce it:

1. Open an MS Office 2013 product, such as MS Word.
  2. Execute the NVDA command to read the status bar and listen carefully to the beginning of the spoken message for the status bar.
  3. Press F6 to move to the status bar and listen carefully to the spoken message for the status bar.

Actual results:

After step #2, NVDA will concatenate the first 2 strings and will read something like "Status barPage number". After step #3, NVDA will read "Status bar Status bar" and the next string for the focused control in the status bar, but will not concatenate any of the spoken strings.

Expected results:

In step #2, NVDA should not concatenate the first 2 strings ("Status bar" and the next one).

Test environment:

• Operating system: Windows 8.1 Pro N, 64-bit.
  • NVDA version: next-11059,49e58c7; 2014.2.
  • MS Office version: v2013.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by driemer.riemer@... on 2014-08-30 00:04
my repo has the fix.
https://bitbucket.org/derek_riemer_/nvda
branch t4430.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2014-09-01 09:31
In [6fb2e32]:

When reporting the text of a status bar that has a name, the name is now correctly separated from the first word of the status bar text.

Re #4430.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2014-09-01 09:32
In [0d1b1a8]:

Merge branch 't4430' into next

Incubates #4430.

Changes:
Added labels: incubating

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by jteh on 2014-09-01 09:36
Nice work. Thanks! Just a nit which I've fixed: again, I realise we're inconsistent across the codebase here, but try to be consistent with the spacing in the same function. In this case, there are spaces around operators. I added a space before and after the + sign. Also, even though you can't add a What's New entry yourself, think about what it might be (remember, for users) and suggest it. For small changes like this, I actually tend to include the What's New entry as the start of the commit message.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by jteh on 2014-09-01 09:36
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to next

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2014-09-03 00:56
In [7ef3d80]:

Merge branch 't4430' into next

Incubates #4430.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by blindbhavya on 2014-10-06 06:40
Hi
Do correct me if I am wrong...
If for two weeks no issues are found, then the ticket's status is changed to fixed, right? So, the last update to this ticket was 5 weeks ago, and no issue had been found with this implementation, then shouldn't this ticket's resolution be Fixed?
Just asking...

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by jteh on 2014-10-06 08:32
Correct, but as I always have a huge amount of work to do (including triaging many very trivial tickets), I haven't gotten around to merging it into master yet.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 13 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2014-10-08 00:35
In [9f0b55e]:

When reporting the text of a status bar that has a name, the name is now correctly separated from the first word of the status bar text.

Fixes #4430.

Changes:
Removed labels: incubating
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 14 by jteh on 2014-10-08 00:44
Changes:
Milestone changed from next to 2014.4

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant