Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

announce the line in which the instance of the entered text string from the Find dialog box has been found #4446

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 8, 2014 · 4 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by blindbhavya on 2014-09-08 15:32
I apologize for the summary being long and yet not explanatory.
Anyways, here is what I am requesting for.
Open a Microsoft Office Word document with ten instances of the word 'NVDA' in different sentences.
Press Ctrl + Home and then Ctrl + F and type NVDA there and Tab to Find Next button and press Enter.
Now, I have to press Esc to exit the Find dialog box and read the line where the word 'NVDA' is situated and decide whether that is the instance I was looking for.
If not, then I again launch the Find dialog box, press Enter and then Esc to check whether I have found the desired instance of the word or not.
This makes it a very time consuming process.
So, NVDA should announce the whole line in which an instance of the entered text string has been found when the user is still in the FInd dialog box and has just pressed Enter on the Find Next button.
Hope I was clear.
If you practically encounter such situations/documents, then you will certainly be able to understand the importance of such an enhancement.
It is something I have missed JAWS for.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by JamaicanUser on 2015-04-13 00:06
Isn't this possible with the new browse mode in NVDA, although it's buggy at the moment?

@bhavyashah
Copy link

bhavyashah commented Sep 30, 2017

In response to #4446 (comment):
NVDA's browse mode Find functionality is able to partially fulfill the use case for the requested improvement. This is because the present scope of this ticket is restricted only to the Find dialog in Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Word happens to now have browse mode and thus NVDA's dedicated Find functionality. However, to fully understand why browse mode Find is only a partial work-around, please perform the following steps:

• Launch a blank Microsoft Word document.
  • Type "Once upon a time, there was a screen reader named NVDA."
  • Press Ctrl+Home to move back to the start of the document.
  • Press NVDA+Space to toggle to browse mode.
  • Press NVDA+Ctrl+F and enter "reader" as the required search string and press Enter.
    Expected Result: NVDA should report the entire line containing the instance of the searched string, i.e. "Once upon a time, there was a screen reader named NVDA."
    Actual Result: NVDA reports the part of the line containing the instance of the searched string from the string to the end of the line, thus excluding the part of the line preceding the instance in NVDA's speech feedback, i.e. "reader named NVDA."

While browse mode Find is certainly more useful than Word Find in this respect, because NVDA simply reports the searched string when an instance of it has been found, which is not useful, whilst NVDA reads out the part of the line from the found instance to the end of the line, which at least gives the user some idea of the area succeeding the searched string, this is not ideal.
If the location of searched string on the containing line is nearly at the end of the line, NVDA will report very little useful information, making browse mode Find almost equivalent to Word Find. Also, the information preceding the searched string may very likely be the key in helping a user identify whether the instance of the searched string is the one desired originally or not.
In conclusion, I would say that the reported bug or requested change, depending on how one views it, very much stands. However, a better approach would be to morph this issue so as to encompass both browse mode Find and Word Find, or only browse mode Find which is more widely applicable, instead of confining it to Word Find. Thoughts? CC @feerrenrut (prioritization and morphing)

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@bhavyashah I am afraid, in my opinion the current behavior with the browse mode and find Dialog is very nice. Because if NVDA reports the whole line I always have to wait until NVDA tells me the desired part of the text. In Terms of Efficiency it is ok as it is now. If someone Needs the whole line, then NVDA+l is certainly a key stroke which is very simple and can be applied where needed.
I agree that the search Dialog in MS Word is not working as expected but with the Workaround it is actually better.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

I no longer have a preference between NVDA reading the whole line or only the part of it starting at the searched string, and think @Adriani90 makes a fair point about efficiency. Also, my original use case is (more or less) possible with NVDA's browse mode Find and by using keyboard shortcuts like Ctrl+PgUp and Ctrl+PgDn. That said, I can reproduce the issue with NVDA 2023.2 and Word 365 (latest updates installed); NVDA only says things like "Result 2 of 10." I am going to guess that sighted users almost certainly are displayed the part of the document containing the search result which NVDA isn't reading, making this issue a bug rather than an enhancement.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants