Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA makes latest versions of Skype crash at startup, if set to "compact view" #4462

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 16, 2014 · 3 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by k_kolev1985 on 2014-09-16 08:53
It was reported to me, and I was able to reproduce it myself, that if an installed copy of NVDA is running and the latest version of Skype is launched, Skype itself will crash with the standard "the application has stopped working..." error message from Windows. To reproduce this, Skype must be set to use its "compact" mode/view. Sometimes after the standard error message from Windows, an error dialog message will appear, with a "access violation error". The message is as follows: "Access violation at address 64C44778 in module 'ieframe.dll'. Read of address 00000000.". The issue can be reproduced at least under Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 with both the latest "next" snapshot and v2014.3 of NVDA and I think NVDA must be an installed copy, but I can't confirm that. If there is no screen reader running or if Narrator (at least on Windows 8.1) is used, such issue does not occur. I think the issue is related to the "Skype Home" module of Skype, because it uses the Internet Explorer engine to display its content and as far as I know, the referenced "ieframe.dll" file is part of that engine. The issue is reproducible with Skype versions 6.20 and 6.18. A friend of mine told me that the issue does not occur with Skype 6.16 (at least for now).

Steps to reproduce it (with NVDA running):

1. If Skype is in compact view, go to the "View" menu and switch it from there to "Default view".
  2. Restart Skype.
  3. Again from the "View" menu, switch Skype to "Compact view".
  4. Restart Skype.

Actual results:
After step #4, when Skype starts, it will crash as described above.

Expected results:
Skype should not crash on startup with compact view enabled, if NVDA is running.

Test environment:

• OS: Windows 8.1 Pro N, 64-bit; Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, 32-bit.
  • Skype version: reproducible with 6.20 and 6.18.
  • NVDA version: next-11125,e7e24c8; 2014.3 (both installed copies).
@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2014-10-24 05:44
I can't reproduce this with Skype 6.21 on Windows 8.1 64 bit. Can you?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by k_kolev1985 on 2014-10-24 06:54
That crash of Skype actually turned out to be caused by a Windows update for Internet Explorer from I think September. Microsoft released a fix for it in there October package of updates for Windows and the crash doesn't occur any more. So we may close this ticket.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by mohammed on 2014-10-24 07:22
Changes:
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant