Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

improvement in NVDA recovery #4467

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 19, 2014 · 6 comments
Open

improvement in NVDA recovery #4467

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 19, 2014 · 6 comments
Labels
enhancement p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by blindbhavya on 2014-09-19 15:36
Hi.
In JAWS 16 public Beta, I think this feature was excellent, and should be implemented in NVDA as well.
I am pasting a brief description about it here; JAWS recovery is now improved
If JAWS 16 becomes unresponsive for more than 15 seconds due to a problem caused by any application it now automatically restarts within 30 seconds.
I do not have more information than this, but till what I have understood, this is quite essential for NVDA as well.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by nvdakor on 2014-09-19 16:41
Hi,
Isn't this a variation on a ticket that was raised a few months ago?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by blindbhavya on 2014-09-20 03:52
I am not sure.
I noticed a potentially useful feature enhancement in JAWS 16 public Beta and thought that it could be implemented in NVDA as well so just created a ticket for it.
Sorry if the same has been discussed before.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by briang1 on 2014-09-20 07:41
The thing is that its not a trivial thing to do. It much depends on what has caused the lock up. At present nvda has a watchdog routine watching for this sort of thing, and trying to recover from it, but often the combined processes of the running software with nvda running in process might have locked up the processor core or whatever, and how do you recover when its locked up in this way? The answer is, very slowly of course.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2014-09-24 03:22
You can already press control+alt+n to restart NVDA in this situation. This way, a user can choose to restart if they believe NVDA has crashed or frozen.

There are several problems with trying to do this automatically. Most notably:

1. The only way to do this reliably is probably to have another process monitoring NVDA. This wastes resources and we have to be careful to manage it cleanly.
  2. If whatever cause the freeze also causes NVDA to freeze when it restarts, we could end up in a restart loop.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@jcsteh From #4467 (comment), are you leaning towards closing this ticket as a cantfix or should we let it remain open in case others have ideas?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Aug 7, 2017

We've certainly seen cases where things lock up in such a way that control+alt+n doesn't work, possibly because NVDA's key hook started eating all keys (which should never happen but does happen in rare edge cases). I think I've also seen cases where NVDA crashed and a Windows crash dialog appeared and control+alt+n didn't work. The problem is that these things are difficult to reproduce, which makes devising a good solution difficult.

P3 to at least investigate/gather information, though we're pretty light on details at this point.

@jcsteh jcsteh added the p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority label Aug 7, 2017
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
enhancement p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants