Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Add a hotkey to apply to all configuration. #4472

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 20, 2014 · 6 comments
Open

Add a hotkey to apply to all configuration. #4472

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 20, 2014 · 6 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by vgjh2005 on 2014-09-20 17:50
Hi:
When I created a profile for a application, but if I don't save change only to it, I must open a non profile application, then make my changing on it. I used to change my voice/synthesizer speech, I must redo the settings for all using applications. It is very trouble. For example, I create profile for four applications, I am listening to some music/watching movie/take a headphone etc that is according to the not same object volume, I must use different synthesizer volume at least, I must change manually completely for four times. So, I think that add a hotkey to save latest current change to all applications profiles. Please note: I hope to save recently change to all and not current profile. Thanks!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by blindbhavya on 2014-09-23 14:52
Hi.
I too feel this feature would be useful.
I too have the exactly same issue; of changing the synthesizer/voice multiple times for separate profiles.
Since the issue was quite troublesome and the profiles weren't very necessary, I deleted the application specific profile to resolve the issue.
However, this may not be the case for all; i.e. many may desperately need the application specific profile and therefore the need of such a feature arises.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2014-09-24 04:05
As documented in the User Guide, the base configuration is used for any settings that aren't explicitly set in a profile. Therefore, if you want a change to be global, deactivate all profiles and then make the change.
Changes:
Added labels: worksforme
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by vgjh2005 on 2014-09-24 12:41
Hi:
I know that. But it is also trouble. Combine a hotkey for it at least. Your work have to be interupted. Thanks!
Changes:
Removed labels: worksforme
State: reopened

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2014-09-24 22:18
The problem with this idea is that it's pretty hard to define "latest change". For example, if you change the voice settings with the synth settings ring, each adjustment will count as a separate change. Also, if you save it to all configuration profiles, when you create a new one, it won't have the changed setting because the setting was only saved to existing configuration profiles, not the base configuration.

@rperez030
Copy link

I believe that, if one has the need to save a setting in all profiles, that probably means that the setting should be saved in the base configuration and not in each individual profile. As @jcsteh commented before, that would create a problem for new profiles which will inherit the setting from the default. What I see here is a conflict between base configuration settings and profile settings in situations where they have been defined for both without the user intending to do so, especially because changes made on the fly using shortcut keys such as the synthh settings ring are saved to the active profile whether the user want this or not. Here is my proposed solution:

• For changes made using shortcut keys such as the synth settings ring or the speaking of typed characters, either save always to the base configuration or, like JAWS does, do not save them at all.
  • For changes made using the settings dialog, provide a radio group to choose whether they should be saved to the currently active profile or the base configuration. If the user chooses to save in the base configuration, made sure that the corresponding setting gets erased from the active profile to avoid future conflict.

@CyrilleB79
Copy link
Collaborator

This is a real issue, but I do not have a good idea to suggest. I have imagined:

• a "Reset to base profile" button in each setting panel
  • in NVDA menu, duplicate the "Revert to saved configuration" and "Save configuration" options, the ones for base profile and the others dedicated only to the current active profile.
  • make the "Save configuration on exit" option a ternary option in "General settings" panel: save all, save only base profile and save nothing when exiting. In the second case, profiles should be saved explicitly calling the "Save configuration" in NVDA menu.
    But none of these options are totally satisfying.

Finally, the best choice for me is to uncheck "Save configuration on exit" in general settings panel and to save manually my modifications when required.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants