Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Recent nexts might be causing nvda to exit abnormally. #4474

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 21, 2014 · 13 comments
Closed

Recent nexts might be causing nvda to exit abnormally. #4474

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 21, 2014 · 13 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by driemer.riemer@... on 2014-09-21 09:55
I have found a bug in recent snapsshots of nvda's next branch that cause it to fail to exit. I think something is breaking in the gui, because I see When a dialog pops up for the first time, it either fails to appear, or randomly freezes, and then responds after a few seconds. I have provided two log files, One with a rediculously long boot time for whatever reason, and another with barely nothing abnormal, except the exiting failed until I ended it with task manager.
I ended both with task manager, and no errors are triggered in the process between when the dialog disappears and when I kill it forcefully through task manager.

Blocking #3763

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment nvda.log added by driemer.riemer@... on 2014-09-21 09:56
Description:
Nvda log with curious freeze and boot loading pause.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment nvda-old.log added by driemer.riemer@... on 2014-09-21 09:57
Description:
old log, which actualy is newer than the first one. It is the one with nothing too abnormal.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by briang1 on 2014-09-22 11:47
Well, I have raised a ticket but its not quite the same as yours, and is the next one to this one.
All i have experienced is the loss of dialogues when nvda is asked to open one immediately after an updated version has started to run after the update. It might be allied to your problem, but all of these odd things started to occur when a version of the gui routines was updated, I feel. The longer boot times have been noted here, but i thought this might be just Windoze dozing off at start up as it is minded to do at times.
Also look for some threads in the freelist and dev list called Schrodingers Dialogues.
Obviously, with no dialogue open after an attempt to do so failed, you don't know if its open or not if its not in the alt tab list. Most of the time an error occurs the next time you try to open one as it thinks it open already!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2014-10-16 23:15
Can affected users please test whether this is now fixed? If so, it was probably #4531 or a side effect of #4460.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by driemer.riemer@... on 2014-10-19 19:20
Yep. I still have it. Let me isolate jump to line like he did and then see if the issue persists.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by nvdakor (in reply to comment 4) on 2014-10-19 19:58
Replying to driemer.riemer@…:

Yep. I still have it. Let me isolate jump to line like he did and then see if the issue persists.

Hi Derek and others,
Based on code, I can see why this issue might have come up: I don't know why the author did this, but the terminate method for jump to line add-on tries to initialize GUI when it is already dead.
Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by driemer.riemer@... on 2014-10-19 20:05
Okay. It was in the savelog addon by Nolia, but probably a quite old version addon now. Also the jump to line addon has this bug as well. Hmm. I wonder if some code is similar. That might give us an idea of what is causing it. It still is happening.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by driemer.riemer@... on 2014-10-19 20:11
I just saw comment 5. Hmm. Odd. That fixes the issue though.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by jteh on 2014-10-19 22:19
So, to clarify, is this definitely due to an add-on? If so, this should be closed as invalid.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by driemer.riemer@... on 2014-10-20 03:25
it looks suspiciously like it is. here is the code they are using, and I don't know why though.

def terminate(self):
        try:
            gui.initialize()
        except wx.PyDeadObjectError:
            pass

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by jteh on 2014-10-20 03:26
They definitely shouldn't be doing that.
Changes:
Added labels: invalid
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by vgjh2005 on 2014-12-24 01:56
Hi:
This isn't caused by addon themselves. I made some tests with different addon and different orders. Please reopen this ticket. Thanks!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by jteh on 2014-12-24 06:30
Actually, the particular issue in question here was caused by add-ons. You might be seeing a similar issue, but it's not quite the same.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant