Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Dialogues not always opening in recent next snapshots on initial run after update #4475

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 21, 2014 · 14 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by briang1 on 2014-09-21 12:16
Note this may be related to the previous ticket, but I have not seen the freezing etc here.
This is a strange one
After any update has been done to an installed copy of next, when one goes via menus, at least the synth menu, and probably others, will not display. Nvda thinks it is open though..
This seems far more likely to occur if there is at least one synth extra in the list, say, pico, or speech Hub etc, but its even more likely if there are a few add ons as well.

That is the best i can do, as a clean install of next did not seem to do it four times I tried, but you cannot really prove a negative.
Certainly an installed copy of Master with quite a few add ons and synths does not do it either, nor any portable create, even over the one running, presumably due to the fact you have to manually run the new copy on a portable create.

It has been observed on XP and 7 so far. The log is not of much use, but I've added one in the downloads anyway. The synth its checking for when it falls out is always the same as in this log, and the fact Speech hub is being a hog here is of no import to the effect.

What is actually happening is that nvda thinks its opened the dialogue, but no amount of alt/tabing can see it. Thus any attempt to open another in the same session will fail with the already open dialogue error. You have to reboot nvda.
Then it works perfectly.
It does not happen on a first boot of the day either, it has to be a direct run from an installed copy update or overwrite to show the issue.

One can wait an hour before asking it to display the dialogue, it still fails to come up.

I had thought that maybe the anti virus was stopping it due to it checking it, hence the above.

So far only two people have confirmed they can get this effect.�
Not really serious, but irritating!

Blocking #3763, #4476, #4492

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment dialogue vanish.txt added by briang1 on 2014-09-21 12:18
Description:
Full log of the effect, not much help

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by briang1 (in reply to comment 1) on 2014-09-21 16:39

It was OK here,
nvda_snapshot_next-11008,4378370.exe
but has the problem here..
nvda_snapshot_next-11125,e7e24c8.exe

Large gap, but its based on what I had.

Replying to briang1:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2014-09-24 03:54
Thanks for your efforts to identify the regression window. Even a gap like this is a huge deal better than nothing.

I'd say this is almost certainly #3763 (wxPython upgrade). This does fall within the regression window. Unfortunately, it sounds like it's going to be extremely difficult to reproduce reliably.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by briang1 on 2014-09-24 07:19
It seems to also occur as mentioned in the duplicate ticket, if you install the same snap over itself as well.
I'm not sure what the add ons and synths are doing affecting this. Might be worth trying to get those with it happening to list what are installed, which I know is probably in the log files but can be a bit hard to pin down. I do not know when these are initialised at start up whether one or more of them might be the cause. I've not had time to try removing them one at a time to see.
Announce Dropbox state and make preferences tabs accessible.; Status: running; Version: 3.0; Author: Patrick ZAJDA patrick@zajda.fr, Filaos and other contributors
An extended appModule for Winamp music player; Status: running; Version: 1.1; Author: Hrvoje Katic hrvojekatic@gmail.com, NVDA-addon-team
this addon is to put text on the clip bord and paste text from clip bord; Status: running; Author: Jennifer Wenson <jwens82@gmail.com
GoldWave; Status: running; Version: 2.0-dev; Author: Joseph Lee joseph.lee22590@gmail.com, David Parduhn xkill85@gmx.net, Mesar Hameed mhameed@src.gnome.org
nvSpeechPlayer; Status: running; Version: 2014.6.4; Author: NV Access Limited admin@nvaccess.org
OCR; Status: running; Version: 0.20120529.01; Author: NV Access Limited & other contributors
Resource Monitor; Status: running; Version: 3.0; Author: Alex Hall mehgcap@gmail.com, Joseph Lee joseph.lee22590@gmail.com, beqa gozalishvili beqaprogger@gmail.com and other NVDA contributors
SpeechHub AddOn; Status: running; Version: 1.0; Author: Bill Cox waywardgeek@gmail.com and Isaac Porat speakon@a-technic.net

I
Pico, sapi 4 and 5.1, Speech platform synths.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by briang1 (in reply to comment 4) on 2014-09-24 17:49
Another way of getting the issue on a different guiGo to the add ons option on the tools menu with a next snap. Either remove the bottom one or install a new one. After this come out and allow a restart.
Now attempt to open the add ons menu from tools.
On all my attempts its just going back to the focussed window, and not opening the dialogue.

If you reboot again, then it will once again work.
Its almost as if some kind of variable is not reset on the first reboot or on the restart of a new version as in the original ticket description. this case though does not generate an already open error.
This even works on portable installations, but Master is still fine. (reminds me a bit of the problem when nvda will not display a menu sometimes due to that phantom window)
Replying to jteh:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by nvdakor on 2014-09-24 22:31
Hi,
Replying to comment 6 regarding add-ons manager:
I can confirm the issue described above. Source code debugging points to core.restart, as NVDA performs additional tasks when add-ons are installed or removed.
As for scope of comment 6, should we keep it here or create a new ticket?
BTW, add-ons GUI presents deprication warning when first initialized.
Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by nvdakor on 2014-09-24 23:31
Hi,
Workaround for comment 6 (may need to be a separate ticket after all): you need to open Log Viewer first before opening add-ons manager.
Thanks,

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by briang1 on 2014-09-25 07:04
Well that warning about library.zip also appears in the other issue as well. Indeed it was this that made me look at the add ons dialogue in the first place.
Seems to me that certain parameters that used to be used by the gui routines are no longer used making it hard to keep things as they should be.
IO - speech.speak (08:07:59):
Speaking ('en_GB'), u'General settings... g 1 of 15'
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (08:08:00):
Input: kb(desktop):downArrow
IO - speech.speak (08:08:00):
Speaking ('en_GB'), u'Synthesizer... s 2 of 15'
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (08:08:01):
Input: kb(desktop):enter
DEBUGWARNING - Python warning (08:08:01):
C:\progra~1\nvda\library.zip\gui\settingsDialogs.py:60: DeprecationWarning: object() takes no parameters
However this occurs even when the menus work. I was surprised to see it sometimes uses the dos notation for the path, and not at other times though.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by Michael Curran <mick@... on 2014-09-30 09:47
In [5f89b1e]:

Ensure that new copies of NVDA and NVDA slave (that will show a GUI) arn't told to hide their first window, when executed with shellExecute. Re #4475

Specifically this is core.restart,  launching NVDA after installation, and launching  the launcher after an update is downloaded.
This was always an error, but some how NVDA with WX 2 seemed to get around it. Not so for WX 3.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by briang1 on 2014-09-30 10:56
So, is this in any way related to the old chestnut of nvda sometimes starting in a state where no menus in it will open. I thought this was due to there being a window that did not close properly which stopped the menus working.

I'll await the new snap and see what happens.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by jteh (in reply to comment 11) on 2014-09-30 11:05
Replying to briang1:

So, is this in any way related to the old chestnut of nvda sometimes starting in a state where no menus in it will open.

It's very unlikely that this fix will fix that problem. That problem is due to Windows not allowing NVDA to become the foreground window, which is a restriction we cannot override in a portable copy or any copy at all on Windows XP.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 14 by briang1 on 2014-10-03 10:48
Having tested the fixed snap for a couple of days., this effect seems to be gone now, but not, as you suggest the old issue. So we are now back as we were as far as I can tell.

There have been no problems with the two issues noted on this and the other tickets so far on several machines.

Unless anyone else has had problems I think this can be closed as fixed now.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 15 by jteh on 2014-10-03 11:23
Changes:
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 16 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2015-01-09 02:45
In [dab9f38]:

Ensure that new copies of NVDA and NVDA slave (that will show a GUI) arn't told to hide their first window, when executed with shellExecute. Fixes #4475

Specifically this is core.restart,  launching NVDA after installation, and launching  the launcher after an update is downloaded.
This was always an error, but some how NVDA with WX 2 seemed to get around it. Not so for WX 3.

michaelDCurran added a commit that referenced this issue Nov 23, 2015
…arn't told to hide their first window, when executed with shellExecute. Fixes #4475

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant