Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA crashes randomly #4482

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 23, 2014 · 11 comments
Closed

NVDA crashes randomly #4482

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 23, 2014 · 11 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by norrumar on 2014-09-23 09:05
I was copying a folder, pressing control+c, when NVDA crashed.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

nvaccessAuto commented Sep 23, 2014

Attachment nvda_crash.dmp added by norrumar on 2014-09-23 09:07
Description:
Crash dump
Update:
File added from Trac
nvda_crash.dmp.zip

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2014-09-24 04:28
How often does this occur? Any other details you can provide?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by norrumar (in reply to comment 1) on 2014-09-24 06:40
Replying to jteh:

How often does this occur?

Perhaps several times in a week.

Any other details you can provide?

Unfortunately I replazed nvda-old.log since I restart it again. There I read something about watchdog an some exception related to ui automation, and stderr.
Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2014-09-25 01:10
This is an access violation in _ctypes!PyCFuncPtr_call, so it's a ctypes call that is causing the crash.

Do you have any add-ons enabled, particularly any which use ctypes, Python C extensions or dlls? If so, please try with them disabled. I don't think I've heard of this crash before and it could well be a ctypes call from an add-on or a dll corrupting memory. If it still occurs without add-ons using ctypes, we'll then need to track down which call it is in the core.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

nvaccessAuto commented Sep 25, 2014

Comment 4 by norrumar (in reply to comment 3) on 2014-09-25 05:32
Replying to jteh:

This is an access violation in _ctypes!PyCFuncPtr_call, so it's a ctypes call that is causing the crash.

Do you have any add-ons enabled, particularly any which use ctypes, Python C extensions or dlls? If so, please try with them disabled. I don't think I've heard of this crash before and it could well be a ctypes call from an add-on or a dll corrupting memory. If it still occurs without add-ons using ctypes, we'll then need to track down which call it is in the core.

Hi, I use Ecobraille add-on. See: #4078

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2014-09-25 07:32
It'd be good if you can determine whether this crash occurs without this add-on. I realise this is tricky because it means you can't use braille, but it's probably the only way we'll be able to determine whether the issue is in that add-on.

The other alternative is to put debug log lines before and after every ctypes call in that add-on. If your log finishes with one of the before lines but not the corresponding after line, you know that this call is crashing.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by norrumar (in reply to comment 5) on 2014-09-25 14:15
Replying to jteh:

It'd be good if you can determine whether this crash occurs without this add-on. I realise this is tricky because it means you can't use braille, but it's probably the only way we'll be able to determine whether the issue is in that add-on.

The other alternative is to put debug log lines before and after every ctypes call in that add-on. If your log finishes with one of the before lines but not the corresponding after line, you know that this call is crashing.

Thanks a lot. I need braille and I have writen log lines to debug the possible bug using this add-on
Cheers.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@nvdaes At the time of reporting this issue, you stated that this crash occurs several times a week. Does Do you still experience such crashes? If so, how frequent are these presently?

@nvdaes
Copy link
Sponsor Contributor

nvdaes commented Aug 19, 2017 via email

@nvdaes
Copy link
Sponsor Contributor

nvdaes commented Aug 28, 2017

@bhavyashah, I think that this issue can be closed for now. It's not happening now.
Cheers

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 28, 2017

Closing, as requested in #4482 (comment). If this problem still persists, we can reopen this issue or a new issue can be created with exact steps to reproduce the issue.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants