Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

text is entered in edit boxes despite being in browse mode #4484

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 23, 2014 · 6 comments
Closed

text is entered in edit boxes despite being in browse mode #4484

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 23, 2014 · 6 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by blindbhavya on 2014-09-23 15:09
Steps to reproduce
Go to community.nvda-project.org
Press Ctrl Home to go the start of the page.
Press e to go to the edit box. Ensure that you do not hit spacebar or Enter to switch to focus mode.
Press for e.g. an alphabet such as a (a because a is not a quick navigation key).
Now press b (b because b is a quick navigation key for buttons).
Actual Results: When you press a, which is not a quick navigation key, a gets entered in the edit box, despite being in browse mode. This applies for all other keys which are not quick navigation keys, for e.g. alphabets such as a, p, w, y, z, punctuation/symbols, special characters and simply everything else that is not a quick navigation key.
When you press b, NVDA promptly takes you to the next button.
Expected Result: NVDA shouldn't let a enter in the edit box because the user isn't in focus mode. NVDA shouldn't do anything at all since a is not a quick navigation key either.
NVDA correctly handles b.
Hope I was clear.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2014-09-24 04:01
Disallowing any key that is not a quick navigation key in browse mode would be extremely unwise. This would include alt+tab, the applications key to open a context menu, control+enter to open a link in a new tab, menu keys, other command keys, etc. Having a list of exceptions is unacceptable, since we can't know every command a user might wish to use.
Changes:
Added labels: wontfix
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by blindbhavya (in reply to comment 1) on 2014-09-24 10:02
Replying to jteh:

Disallowing any key that is not a quick navigation key in browse mode would be extremely unwise. This would include alt+tab, the applications key to open a context menu, control+enter to open a link in a new tab, menu keys, other command keys, etc.

Ok, fair enough.
Having a list of exceptions is unacceptable, since we can't know every command a user might wish to use.
I am not sure why it is not possible. Alphabet keys such as a, p, y, z and a few others are not quick navigation keys , so why would the user want them to be allowed and entered in the edit box? Please clarify. Am I missing something here?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2014-09-24 10:46
I meant a list of exceptions for all possible keys, not just alphabetic keys. We can't know every possible command key a user would use; e.g. alt+tab, control+enter, control+t, control+tab, alt+f, etc.

As to a list of exceptions for alphabetic keys, why should alphabetic keys be special?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by briang1 on 2014-09-24 13:41
Actually this ticket explains the issues I had with the lack of indication of mode if the next element is the same, as the last one. Thus, with a little distraction, it is indeed easy to be in an edit area, be in browse mode but think its focus mode and typ a word, then the minute you hit a defined shrt command key you go whizzing off to another bit of the page entirely. This is with automatic mode change on etc, of course.
So there could be some mileage in some form of protection from this.
My vote would be for the mode to be always announced on changes in the automatic mode, persoanlly.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2014-11-05 11:43
I'm still not sure of the exact solution here, but comments sparked as a result of quick nav in Word (#2975) suggest that this is important to users.
Changes:
Removed labels: wontfix
State: reopened

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 3, 2017

I am not able to reproduce this using the comment box on this issue for an example. When in browse mode and I press, Z, Y, P, or any punctuation/symbols, Windows makes an error tone and the key is not passed to the application. Closing, but if someone can reproduce and provide an STR, this can be reopened. Closing

@ehollig ehollig closed this as completed Aug 3, 2017
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants