Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Improper HTML form label and title attribute announcement #4491

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 24, 2014 · 5 comments
Closed

Improper HTML form label and title attribute announcement #4491

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 24, 2014 · 5 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by Ash250 on 2014-09-24 17:01
NVDA screen reader announce title attribute twice in IE browser (not able to announce ). It seems a little bit "off" compared to W3C Accessible Name and Description Calculation documentation:

"For input type = 'text', input type = 'password', input type = 'search', input type = 'tel', input type = 'email' and textarea element the accessible name calculation:

1. Use ''aria-labelledby''

2. Otherwise use ''aria-label''

3. Otherwise use associated ''label'' element

4. Otherwise use ''placeholder''

5. Otherwise use ''title'' attribute

6. If none of the above yield a usable text string, there is no accessible name " (Source: W3C Accessible Name calculation)

When I test the form with proper coding element and title attribute in IE browser (IE v.9, 10 and 11), NVDA just announce the title twice without announcing the form label. I think this might be a bug with NVDA screen reader so it announces title attribute twice instead of label element followed by title attribute.

Hope to hear from you soon

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2014-09-24 22:23
Please provide a test case and exact steps to reproduce; e.g. what commands did you use which read the title twice. Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by Ash250 on 2014-09-30 15:27
I'm sorry for late update. A simple testing scenario is below:
"

<label ''for="email"''> Email:

<input ''id="email"'' type="email" title="john@example.net" aria-required="true"/>
"

When I navigate this form with NVDA and with ''Tab key'' (I'm sorry for not mentioning the step to achieve the issue) in IE browser, the screen reader announces the title ("john at example dot net") twice without announcing the form label which is "Email".

Thanks

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by Michael Curran <mick@... on 2015-01-26 03:24
In [6d622be]:

Merge branch 't4491' into next. Incubates #4491

Changes:
Added labels: incubating

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by Michael Curran <mick@... on 2015-02-09 06:42
In [7d0fc2f]:

Merge branch 't4491'. Fixes #4491

Changes:
Removed labels: incubating
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by mdcurran on 2015-02-09 06:43
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2015.1

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant